Tascam M30 (moded?!) and jumper issues

chillward

Hey there,
after reading tons of posts about the M30 i got the chance yesterday buying one cheap and I did. i couldn’t test it properbly but guy told me he could send signals through the busses but not through the channels but I guess he was not familiar with the switches and the biard itself. But I do have two questions:

1. Jumpers are missing but I do have two spare rca/1/4“ multicore cables. Is it possible to use them as jumpers although the 1/4“ cables are going nowhere? I just want to know if it should theoretically work before buying rca/rca patch cables. I already can imagine it is not working because they should loop but could I be blowing anything if trying?

2. I read there should be 2 1/4“ inputs on channel 7,8 but there are two black xlr inputs looking different than the other silverish ones from 1-6. Does this mean it is moded or something else?

Tried looking these questions up but couldn‘t find it on other threads therefore I am thabkfull for each though.

-alex

Last edited:
A pair of ACCESS SEND/RCV jacks need to be connected together in some way shape or form, either using a jumper, or a RCA to RCA cable, or connected to the input and output of an effects unit (like as an insert effect) in order for signal to flow through the mixer channel. I’m a little confused by what you mean when you say you have an RCA to 1/4” multicore cable and the 1/4” cables are going nowhere...? Are you saying you have an RCA to 1/4” snake, you are plugging two of the RCA plugs to a SEND/RCV pair on the M-30 but then doing nothing else? If so, to make it work, the 1/4” plugs associated to the two RCA plugs you have connected to the SEND/RCV jacks need to be connected together using a 1/4” female to 1/4” female barrel connector. Or just use an RCA to RCA cable instead.

As far as the XLR inputs on channels 7 & 8 can you put up a picture?

IMG_1491.JPGIMG_1490.jpgIMG_1489.jpg

Thanks for the answer Sweetbeats, you totally got that right what I was trying to say. Trying to get simple Rca/Rca patch cables, thanks and I am using the 4 Jacks from my 244. As for the pictures: I just realized that the headphone knob is also not original and must have been changed since it is HUGE and the VU needle 3 looks different from the rest, this was also probably changed. I googled the M30 and saw a couple of pictures where there are also only XLR inputs and no 1/4". Is there a possibility of a different year of production and / or different region? Eq american/european version? Despite all that it is in pretty good cosmetic condition (despite that darn ZERO Sticker at the bottom right corner) and I am glad I scored it. It's very similar to my Tascam 244 Portastudio with the flip switches I hope everything will work.

Regarding RCA cables, yeah you can even use the stereo ones that come with consumer audio equipment...go to Goodwill...there’s usually lots of them in the electronics section in the cable/adapter pile.

Regarding the meter, was that picture taken with the mixer turned on? If not, what happens when you turn it on? If so, what does it look like when you turn it off?

Regarding the channel 7 & 8 XLR jacks, no, not later model/special model/European model...the original 1/4” jacks are high impedance unbalanced mic jacks. My hunch is somebody swapped the 1/4” jacks out for XLR and they are still unbalanced, but you wouldn’t know for sure until you remove the bottom panel and post some pics of where the wires go from pins 1, 2 & 3 of the XLR jack. In the meantime we might be able to get some answers if you have an multimeter, you could measure the resistance between pins 2 & 3, pins 2 & 1, and pins 3 & 1 and post the results here.

When I bought my M-30 back in the 80's channels 7 & 8 were ¼'' jack for high impedance microphones. Apparently, there was a conversion kit available for converting to low impedance balanced. From what I read, it included an impedance matching transformer, but I don't know what else.

The original headphone knob should be the same as the monitor and submix master knobs, but with a green cap, the headphone toggle switch top should also be the same as the toggles at the top of each input channel.

There is a seller by the name of "delapiste" in France on that popular shopping website selling some M-30 parts

If you need a copy of the Operation-Maintainance manual you can download from the 'File Store" page of my website here; My Digital Pix

Two photos below of the access send/receive jumpers as originally supplied when new.

IMG_20171202_165643.jpgIMG_20171202_165808.jpg

Last edited:
When I bought my M-30 back in the 80's channels 7 & 8 were ¼'' jack for high impedance microphones. Apparently, there was a conversion kit available for converting to low impedance balanced. From what I read, it included an impedance matching transformer, but I don't know what else.

The original headphone knob should be the same as the monitor and submix master knobs, but with a green cap, the headphone toggle switch top should also be the same as the toggles at the top of each input channel.

There is a seller by the name of "delapiste" in France on that popular shopping website selling some M-30 parts

If you need a copy of the Operation-Maintainance manual you can download from the 'File Store@ page of my website here; My Digital Pix

Two photos below of the access send/receive jumpers as originally supplied when new.

View attachment 101238View attachment 101239

Thanks for the info and the download link I only got the operation manual with it! As for the Jumpers, I think I will get the rca short cable by this french seller since they are cheaper and should do the job. I can‘t wait to hear it hopefully everything works smooth.

Back