Tascam m1600 mixer?

Chris Shaeffer

Peavey ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Everyone.

In thinking about getting a mixer better suited to the shiney "new" tascam 48 sitting in my studio at home, I ran across a good deal on a Tascam m1600 (16x8x2) mixer with its meter bridge.

I'm not at all familiar with Tascam's mixers and have no idea how to compare the m1600 with the Alesis Studio 24 that I currently have. The 24 has the right number of channels and its a good size, but I'm not sure how much I like the preamps. I have a Soundtracs SOLO (16x8x2) but its going to be a tight fit for my little studio but its sounds fantastic.

So I like the full metering on the m1600 and the more robust aux send/returns, but I have no idea what the pres are like. Anyone have any idea how the m1600 stacks up?

Thanks,
Chris

Well, assuming they are reasonably similar to the M-2500 series (and there is no reason they shouldn't be) the preamps sound fine to me. I A/Bd them with a $300 2-channel preamp I have and couldn't hear a clear difference. Both were completely transparent and sounds just fine to my ears.

So now I use the Tascam preamps for almost everything. :)

Edit: No, I checked, they are not the same. Tascam claims to have new and better preamps in the 1600. :) So I guess when need the expert opinion of somebody that has tried several of these. But generally, the Tascam preamps are fine.

I have a Tascam M3500 console (32x8) and the mic pres and eq section sound good to me. Can't go wrong with Tascam for the most part, the build quality is great. My tape machine is a Otari MX 70 16 track and it sounds like they were made for each other.

An M-3500 user here too. The pre's are useable for sure but they're a little noisier than the stand alone pres I have, but I'd have expected that.

trak rat, i don't want to hijack this thread but i added phase switches to my console. If your interested, i can open a new thread and we can dicuss. simple DIY for all?

Thanks for the info, everyone.

And I'm interested in the Phase Switch DIY thread, as well! That would be fun....

Take care,
chris

Hey Chris. I opened another thread for the phase switch on the M3500 console but you can stuff everything in a project or rackmount box as well. I started with "blocks" of 8 channels, 1 thru 8 on my board but can be made to any amount, even just 2. Nothing like flipping phase in real time!

Back