Tascam M-308 and Tascam TSR-8 track

DESSERT DWELLER

Hello,

What is the best way to hook up a Tascam M-308 mixer to a tascam TSR-8 track? what cables do I need.

Also I wish to record 6 or 7 tracks live on individual channels.

Thanks,

Peter

The traditional hook up is to use the buss outs of the M308 and connect them to the inputs of the TSR-8 but, if your are needing to lay down more then 4 tracks in one pass, the alternative method is to use the M308's direct channel output jacks instead of the buss outs.

All that is needed is a couple of 8 channel snakes with RCA plugs at each end and a handful of RCA to quater inch plug adaptors from Radio-Shack. One snake to feed from the direct outs to the line ins on the TSR-8 and the second snake to feed from the reel to reel outs back to the tape return inputs which are grouped together in the same area on the mixer, where the 1-4 buss out jacks are.

For monitoring the mix while tracking, use the aux 1 green knobs to establish a talent mix and press the small square tape buttons next to the aux 1 knobs on each channel strip.

This way, you can firstly set correct recording levels by adjusting each channel fader as the master level to it's recording track.

The buss and stereo master faders will have no effect on the recording level as the direct outs bypass them.

Also, the channel on/off pushbuttons will have no effect in this direct mode.

By making use of the control room monitoring push button selector section, you can listen to to the aux 1 mono mix or if a stereo monitoring mix is required, you can use the 8 dedicated tape return knobs on the right side of the board and create a pan-able, stereo mix that can feed the stereo buss as an alternative.

Additional separate talent mixes can be created as well if a player requires his own unique cue mix but this will require making use of a dedicated headphone amplifier being connected the the aux output you wish to use for his or her mix.

The M308 is a remarkably flexible, professional board and is limited only by your imagination and routing skill as an engineer to get it to do what you need for a particular application.

Get the picture?

Cheers! :)

Thanks Ghost of FM,

I had another 308 mixer question. One of the members of my band was told that we could get a cable to connect the 308 to the TSR 8. This cable would somehow use the computer type outputs from the TSR 8 and let use have balanced inputs and outputs. Does this make sense to you?

I thought (through reading the owners manual) that this coputer type output was intended to be used for synching up to video?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Your friend is a victim of urban legend, I'm afraid.

The TSR-8 is strictly an unbalanced, -10db, RCA pin jack machine.

The multi-pin connectors are indeed for external sync and lock up with other recorders and controllers.

Cheers! :)

Have a TSR-8, am looking for a good mixer to go with it

Am looking for some advice. I currently have in my posession a TSR-8 tape machine, but no mixer. Previously I had used a fostex 454 with the machine, but need something new. I want to be able to record 8 tracks, but also recieve 8 tracks back to the mixer for monitoring purposes while tracking. The 454 could do this. I am looking at a Tascam 308, but do you have any other suggestions as to what would be a good mixer to go with this tape recorder. Obviously, also want something that sounds good. Thanks

Back