Tascam M-2516

poopchute

Hello,
Is there a reason why you almost Never see a Tascam M-2516 or its bigger brother on ebay? Is it that there just arent alot of them around? Are they really nice and therefore no one sells them? Am I typing in the wrong words on ebay? Right now I have a M-30 but want to upgrade to a M2516. How much do they generally go for considering I cant tell from ebay...

Theres a 2516 on eBay right now for $549 BIN. A little pricey considering the condition.

Here's a 2524 on eBay for $600...I think that's a reasonable deal. It looks to be in good condition.

I think people do hold on to them because they are pretty reliable especially if not gigged, and they have a pretty good feature set.

Try doing this for an eBay search:

"Tascam (M2516, M2524, 2516, 2524)"

Also, try Googling "craigslist tascam"

I actually lucked out earlier this year and found one for $150 locally. I've fallen in love with it and it is a very capable mixer. Before I found this I was thinking of getting a Mackie, but like I said, that was before. If you can find one that is in good shape for a decent price, jump on it! Unfortunately Tascam doesn't carry many of the knobs for this model anymore, as I bought the last red one they had. I will have to check to see if other models have identical knobs. I have two that the colored top is missing from.

Hi,
It's a shame you are not in Western Australia, I have a 2524 I want to sell but the market here is small and everyone thinks Mackie, behringer, etc, and the freight from here (Fremantle) to anywhere costs too much.

I have used Tascam consoles for years and they are built like tanks and sound fine. I currently have a M3700 for the Studio and a M1024 for live use.

Keep looking the M2524 is a great console, and the midi mute/scene control is also very useful.

Cheers

alan.

Also, try Googling "craigslist tascam"

On this point, I've noticed something very strange. I used to do that exact search, and I would only get a handful of results. I mean ... I'd get tons of results, but only some of them would be things for sale on craigslist with "Tascam" in the listing.

I thought "this can't be right." So I went to craigslist.com and searched for "Tascam" in my local area (Milwaukee) and got many more results. I don't know why, but google isn't catching 90% of them.

What I do now is go to craigslist, click on the state Wisconsin, and then click on the top city that comes up. Then in the search box I type "tascam" and copy that text before I hit enter. After results come up and I've checked them out (if any), I hit back two times, move down to the next city, paste "tascam" in the box, and hit enter.

I use command keys for all of this (CTRL-V for paste, ALT-back arrow for going back to the previous page, and tab to move down to the next city), and I can cover the entire states of Wisconsin and neighboring Minnesota and Illinois in 3 minutes or so (minus the time I'll spend looking at results that come up).

I've found so much more stuff this way than searching on Google, though I don't know why.

Im talking more about how when you type in Tascam M-2516 on Ebay you get 0 results. At least I did and usually do. I have checked craigslist too and do use the same technique as famous beagle but still cannot find anything.
I guess I should also ask. Do they make a 8 channel version of the 2516? Which would be a 2508? Im only recording 8 tracks for my reel2reel. Unless its a good thing to have a few extra channels?

I guess Im gonna revise my options to the M1508, M1516,or M2508, M2516. Right now Im only using the 8 tracks but in the future Imthinking about going with a 16 track R2R. So if I just get a 1516 or a 2516 Ill just have a extra set of unused faders untill I go to the 16 track. Since there doesnt seem to be much on them around can someone whos had personal knowledge of the 1516 or 2516 tell me the main differences and which one I would want? I mainly plan on doing classic rock type music. I dont see me using alot of extra busses unless Im bouncing a track or 2 down...

Last edited:
Im talking more about how when you type in Tascam M-2516 on Ebay you get 0 results.

Yeah, that's why I suggested the Tascam (M2516, M2524, 2516, 2524), you'll get anything that matches those parameters, but the reality is that there aren't a lot of them.

I do the statewide search as was suggested, but I started doing the Google search as well to get a sample of nationwide offerings. Its how I found my Tascam 58 and 48 combo as well as my M-520.

There is no 2508. Closest thing is the 1508. Cool mixer. The 1500 series (1508 and 1516) were introduced around the same time as the 2500 series (2516 and 2524) so there are a lot of similarities. 1500 series lack the MIDI scene memory and other MIDI functions, eq is 3Sband mid-sweep as opposed to 3-band mid and low-sweep...other differences of which I'm not specifically knowledeable, but if you are looking for a budget (in cost, not quality/features) 8 channel mixer the 1508 is a great option.

Hi JJones,

The channel mute and the scene control is reasonably simple (famous last words).

You connect the midi ins and outs of the 2524 to you midi sequencer. Put the sequencer into record and when you push the mute or the scene buttons the sequencer records note on (mute on) note off (mute off) for the channel mutes with each of the channels having a different note. i.e C1, C1#, E3, D2 etc etc. The scene is slightly different And I can't remember what as it's been a while since I used my 2524, but put the sequencer into record and see what gets recorded.

Basically the midi sequencer treats the 2524 as a key board, recording your mutes and scenes as if you were playing a keyboard and re-producing this when you play it back. Obviously the midi has to be synced to the recorded audio.

On the button pad you can set up the midi channel that is used.

Let me know if you got it working, have you got a manual?

Cheers

alan.

Anyone have any pics of the layouts of the mixers I mentioned? Mainly the 1508/1516 or 2508/2516? The thing is I have the M-30 and i really dont like the way it routes. It seems like Im doing the mix in the submix section or the orange buss knobs. I'd like to just be able to use faders. That and Im hoping that Ill like the sound a little bit better. Or maybe its just the old look of the M/30...

Hi JJones,

The channel mute and the scene control is reasonably simple (famous last words).

You connect the midi ins and outs of the 2524 to you midi sequencer. Put the sequencer into record and when you push the mute or the scene buttons the sequencer records note on (mute on) note off (mute off) for the channel mutes with each of the channels having a different note. i.e C1, C1#, E3, D2 etc etc. The scene is slightly different And I can't remember what as it's been a while since I used my 2524, but put the sequencer into record and see what gets recorded.

Basically the midi sequencer treats the 2524 as a key board, recording your mutes and scenes as if you were playing a keyboard and re-producing this when you play it back. Obviously the midi has to be synced to the recorded audio.

On the button pad you can set up the midi channel that is used.

Let me know if you got it working, have you got a manual?

Cheers

alan.

Cool. Thanks Alan. I've got the manual, but I'm pretty ignorant about MIDI operations as I have just started getting into it. I don't really have a sequencer, but I can try running it into Sonar for giggles and grins. I didn't know you had to "record" the scene selections punched in on the board. Doh!! I'll give it a whirl over the weekend and see what I get.

Poopchute, I've got a pretty good shot of my 2516 if you want me to send it to you. PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you for you to look over.

Back