Tascam LA-40

SteveM

I just pick one of this up from a pawn shop. It's the older, probably original version that looks like the DBX unit, not an MK version. Was wondering if anyone had any info on it. It works great and I'm pretty sure it is simply +4 xlr to -10 rca and 1/4", but it'd be good to hear from someone who knows about it. There's really not a whole lot of info out there for it. The MK versions have switches on them and trim pots. You can find info on those. Kind of a neat thing to have. I like it. :)

It is indeed a handy unit to have especially if you have an unbalanced board and are needing to interface with balanced equipment (like for instance an Ampex AG-440...:)).

I have 3 of the mkII versions so not sure how much help I can be but AFAIK the original version is indeed 4 discreet channels of -10dBv unbalanced inputs on 1/4 TS and RCA jacks to +4dBu balanced outputs on XLR jacks, and 4 discreet channels of +4dBu balanced inputs on XLR jacks to -10dBv unbalanced outputs on 1/4 inch TS and RCA jacks. Basic, but a handy well-built 4 channel active level matching box. I'm guessing that you should not use the 1/4 inch and RCA jacks at the same time on the input side (i.e. I don't think there are summing amps on the unbalanced inputs) but somebody would need to confirm that. I figure it is A-OK to use both 1/4 inch and RCA jacks simultaneously on the output side. It would depend on the opamp used but Tascam had (in my experience with period equipment) a habit during that era to have opamps in that application that had plenty of output drive to support multiple destinations.

That is probably not anything more than you knew already on the functional side of things. Wish I had a manual to offer but its not in my collection.

Can anybody add more info?

It is indeed a handy unit to have especially if you have an unbalanced board and are needing to interface with balanced equipment (like for instance an Ampex AG-440...:)).

?

It was kind of a neat find. :) It would be nice to find a pdf on it but then there's really not much to it. I'm sure it's probably just is as basic as you described. Thanks for the feedback Cory.

Back