Tascam Forum/BBS Closure

Does it cost that much to run a board like that? Or is it just a time thing?

I was just on there today... darn!

I had a feeling though. After being orphaned from the original forums run by Tascam... well, you know, "once bitten."

I see Tascam Corporation is still playing the asshole – giving Bruce the silent treatment like they gave us in 03. :mad:

Tascam is probably mad at us (the analog community) in particular since we don't buy their new equipment, only the old! Save for the manual or overpriced part here or there...

-MD

themaddog said:
Tascam is probably mad at us (the analog community) in particular since we don't buy their new equipment, only the old! Save for the manual or overpriced part here or there...

-MD

It's actually thanks to us that the official TASCAM forum came down. Man, we used to bitch slap TASCAM around and that was on their own forum! I mean, we used to go on and on about the lack of quality of their current gear and how we hated what they were doing to the "Old TASCAM" name etc ....... They just couldn't stand it anymore .... and now they don't give a fuck about us ... :D

Daniel

Last edited:
I just wanted to say I am sad about this. I am called as 70s sound quality on the Teac forums. Actually I am pissed.

So much valuable information...gone.

If someone would have said something, I could have at least gone there and copied/pasted some pretty useful text.

Old Teac gear lives on. Just an hour ago I was cleaning through my 80-8, lusting at how neat the sound is. It's all about that 70s Teac "bite". Anyone who has heard a mix done on a 70-8 knows what I mean.

Im not quite sure about the situation with Tascam. Didn't they give the Teac forums a free digital recording center to give away to the winner of the song contest? That was a good contest, we could all enter for free. I got a book, though I never pursued it. Maybe I should have spent more time in the Teac forums. Sorry home recording, but Teac forums were the best. Thanks bruce.

supertramp1979 said:
I just wanted to say I am sad about this. I am called as 70s sound quality on the Teac forums. Actually I am pissed.

So much valuable information...gone.

If someone would have said something, I could have at least gone there and copied/pasted some pretty useful text.

Old Teac gear lives on. Just an hour ago I was cleaning through my 80-8, lusting at how neat the sound is. It's all about that 70s Teac "bite". Anyone who has heard a mix done on a 70-8 knows what I mean.

Im not quite sure about the situation with Tascam. Didn't they give the Teac forums a free digital recording center to give away to the winner of the song contest? That was a good contest, we could all enter for free. I got a book, though I never pursued it. Maybe I should have spent more time in the Teac forums. Sorry home recording, but Teac forums were the best. Thanks bruce.

If I'm thinking of the correct person from the now closed tascam forum, and I think I am, I really enjoyed your 70's sound clips .. very much.

~Daniel

I recieved an email from the guy that runs the site...

He tried to get tascam to support it but they would not and he doesn't have the 2,500 a month to keep it going.

cjacek said:
If I'm thinking of the correct person from the now closed tascam forum, and I think I am, I really enjoyed your 70's sound clips .. very much.~Daniel
Im not sure?? I have a link at purevolume and you can listen to some of the stuff to see? I hate anything I have recorded. Right now I have plans for bigger and better 70s-style analog productions. Better songwriting, better tuning of drums, better room acoustics, better mic placement, everything needs to be better. But soon when I get my new location in the country it will all come together nicely i think. here is that link though http://www.purevolume.com/ornery/music

cjacek said:
Does it really cost that much to run a site ? :confused:
I think Bruce,(drwho) was billing his own time for an undisclosed amount of hours per month at an undisclosed hourly rate when he states what it cost to run the place for the initial start up and the monthly participation/management of the forum. I am sure the actual hosting fees were FAR below the numbers stated in his farewell statement and as mentioned elsewhere, there were many, many supporting members of the bbs who sent Bruce their hard earned money to keep the place up and running.

I don't mean to slag bruce in any way but, I believe the money aspect of keeping the place up and running was covered and for a longer period of time then the 20 months the place was up for. Early on, it was stated that they had enough capital from the member donations to run the place for at least two years...having said that, I will also state that the site was dramatically upgraded in the past few months and the costs of that may not have been fully re-couped...I don't know as I've been away from the moderator's scene due to personal family issues on my end.

In any event, the place was bruce's private property and it's his final word and will to keep it up and going or flush it down the toilet. It's his decision.

Cheers! :)

supertramp1979 said:
Im not sure?? I have a link at purevolume and you can listen to some of the stuff to see? I hate anything I have recorded. Right now I have plans for bigger and better 70s-style analog productions. Better songwriting, better tuning of drums, better room acoustics, better mic placement, everything needs to be better. But soon when I get my new location in the country it will all come together nicely i think. here is that link though http://www.purevolume.com/ornery/music

Yup, that was you .... I recall listenning to that long (Windows) tune way back on the tascam forums. Great setup and sounds! I dig.

Btw, what is that instrument (pict below) ?

~Daniel

Attachments

• tn_-150-1124580602-sidewaybrightD.jpeg
    tn_-150-1124580602-sidewaybrightD.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 47
The Ghost of FM said:
I think Bruce,(drwho) was billing his own time for an undisclosed amount of hours per month at an undisclosed hourly rate when he states what it cost to run the place for the initial start up and the monthly participation/management of the forum. I am sure the actual hosting fees were FAR below the numbers stated in his farewell statement and as mentioned elsewhere, there were many, many supporting members of the bbs who sent Bruce their hard earned money to keep the place up and running.

I don't mean to slag bruce in any way but, I believe the money aspect of keeping the place up and running was covered and for a longer period of time then the 20 months the place was up for. Early on, it was stated that they had enough capital from the member donations to run the place for at least two years...having said that, I will also state that the site was dramatically upgraded in the past few months and the costs of that may not have been fully re-couped...I don't know as I've been away from the moderator's scene due to personal family issues on my end.

In any event, the place was bruce's private property and it's his final word and will to keep it up and going or flush it down the toilet. It's his decision.

Cheers! :)

I guess there's more to it than meets the eye ;)

cjacek said:
Yup, that was you .... I recall listenning to that long (Windows) tune way back on the tascam forums. Great setup and sounds! I dig. Btw, what is that instrument (pict below) ?~Daniel

Hey Cjacek,

That is an analog synthesizer, Octave, The Cat Electronic music Synthesizer. I got it for only 300 singles. It is from November 1976. They're going up in price; now would be a good time to buy them, but in 5 years, not so good.
I have a Cat website actually, and an interview with the inventor of the machine. It's really a good read actually...you should take a look..

www.octavecat.homestead.com

thanks!
John

Back