Tascam ES-50, ES-51

DIY...I once saw a set on eBay but they weren't even right for my application and they went for $120. :eek::rolleyes:

So I made my own.

What are you interfacing?

If you are into building them yourself I can help.

Great, I havent got the units yet but I have MSR-24, TSR-8, and MS-16 that I would like to link up in any combination. I have an MTS-1000 with 2 of the cables for the serial ports, will those cables work on the ES-50?
Thanks
VP

It should...what is an IF-1000?

You may be able to contact Tascam and get a wiring diagram to connect the MTS-1000 to the MS-16. Both the ES-50 and MTS-1000 use the same conventions to control and communicate...they depend on tach pulses and audio SMPTE code...all syncable Tascam machines, at least AFAIK utilize a 9.6kHz servo reference frequency. The MTS-1000 is more sophisticated than the ES-50 and speaks MIDI which the ES-50 does not. Do you already have the ES-50/51 system?

The ES-50 utilizes cinch connectors on the back for interface cables while the MTS-1000 utilizes DSUB connectors like on the back of your MSR and TSR decks, while the MS-16 has that ELCO connector. You could even make a DSUB to ELCO adapter for when you are syncing the MS-16 with the TSR or MSR. That way you can still use the same cables when you are interfacing the MSR and TSR. Beware though that when making cables for the ES-50 it isn't just straight pin to pin...there are some components in the cable...a resistor and a few diodes IIRC. Its on the wiring diagram but, again, that may not be the case with the MTS-1000 to MS-16 connection and Tascam may be able to just fax you a diagram...that's where I got mine for the ES-50 to the 58 (which also applies to the MS-16, 388 and ATR series decks).

I may be totally wrong about the MTS-1000 with the MS-16 and I'm eager to be corrected and learn if that is the case.

It should...what is an IF-1000?

You may be able to contact Tascam and get a wiring diagram to connect the MTS-1000 to the MS-16. Both the ES-50 and MTS-1000 use the same conventions to control and communicate...they depend on tach pulses and audio SMPTE code...all syncable Tascam machines, at least AFAIK utilize a 9.6kHz servo reference frequency. The MTS-1000 is more sophisticated than the ES-50 and speaks MIDI which the ES-50 does not. Do you already have the ES-50/51 system?

The ES-50 utilizes cinch connectors on the back for interface cables while the MTS-1000 utilizes DSUB connectors like on the back of your MSR and TSR decks, while the MS-16 has that ELCO connector. You could even make a DSUB to ELCO adapter for when you are syncing the MS-16 with the TSR or MSR. That way you can still use the same cables when you are interfacing the MSR and TSR. Beware though that when making cables for the ES-50 it isn't just straight pin to pin...there are some components in the cable...a resistor and a few diodes IIRC. Its on the wiring diagram but, again, that may not be the case with the MTS-1000 to MS-16 connection and Tascam may be able to just fax you a diagram...that's where I got mine for the ES-50 to the 58 (which also applies to the MS-16, 388 and ATR series decks).

I may be totally wrong about the MTS-1000 with the MS-16 and I'm eager to be corrected and learn if that is the case.

The IF-1000 is a converter box to connect the parrallel port of the MS-16 to the serial port on the MTS-1000. The MSR and TSR already has serial port. They also have a Parallel port so I can use both The MTS-1000 and ES-50,51 on those newer machines. The MS-16 only has the parallel port. I am waiting for the ES-50,51 to be shipped. What machines do you sync with the ES system. Do you have the ES-51 also?
VP

Huh!

I don't know what is going on inside the IF-1000 but I also have the wiring diagram for the BR-20T to use that with the ES-50/51 system...the BR-20 has a DSUB connector on the back like the MSR and TSR decks but it will work fine with the ES-50...I really don't see why it (the MTS-1000) wouldn't work with the MS-16 as well...:confused:

You are using the terms "parallel" and "serial"...are you getting those terms from documentation or secondary to the connector types? The communication protocol isn't serial or parallel per se like a computer...it is based on a loosey-goosey industry standard for machine control and sync interface that I believe stemmed from the video and film industry. Different manufacturers utilized some different standards like the servo reference frequency (I believe some Ampex decks utilize a 19.2kHz reference frequency for instance) but most of these sync systems are setup to adapt to those minor differences including the inherent differences in the mechanical characteristics of different machines. Is the IF-1000 an active box or is it a passive device, maybe simply the equivalent of my adapter cable idea? Does it have one DSUB connector and one cinch connector?

I do have the ES-51 as well, and I have used the system to chase-lock my 58 to the DAW, but it is a bit of a PITA with the ES-50 as it is not really designed to work well in a code-only environment and it doesn't speak MIDI at all so it is a matter of "striping" the DAW with SMPTE as well and feeding the output of that into the ES-50 master timecode input, but the ES-50 was really designed to sync two analog transports together either audio/audio or audio/video and its auto-calibrate function is designed around that expectation so having only one machine connected it doesn't complete the auto-calibration including the calibration to the transport's tach signal. This resulted in an irritating runaway slave deck issue when I'd advance the transport in the DAW. Outside of that though the ES-50/51 system IMHO is a very professional unit. Very well-built and designed and built to do what it does very well and reliably. My plan at this point is to transition to a Timeline MicroLynx system which speaks MIDI and is fine and is designed to accomodate a DAW/ATR relationship or ATR/ATR which is really what I need...that flexibility. I haven't used the BR-20T yet but I'm sure I will be taking advantag of its timecode track features at some point...needs a pinch roller that isn't like flypaper first. :)

Huh!

I don't know what is going on inside the IF-1000 but I also have the wiring diagram for the BR-20T to use that with the ES-50/51 system...the BR-20 has a DSUB connector on the back like the MSR and TSR decks but it will work fine with the ES-50...I really don't see why it (the MTS-1000) wouldn't work with the MS-16 as well...:confused:

You are using the terms "parallel" and "serial"...are you getting those terms from documentation or secondary to the connector types? The communication protocol isn't serial or parallel per se like a computer...it is based on a loosey-goosey industry standard for machine control and sync interface that I believe stemmed from the video and film industry. Different manufacturers utilized some different standards like the servo reference frequency (I believe some Ampex decks utilize a 19.2kHz reference frequency for instance) but most of these sync systems are setup to adapt to those minor differences including the inherent differences in the mechanical characteristics of different machines. Is the IF-1000 an active box or is it a passive device, maybe simply the equivalent of my adapter cable idea? Does it have one DSUB connector and one cinch connector?

I do have the ES-51 as well, and I have used the system to chase-lock my 58 to the DAW, but it is a bit of a PITA with the ES-50 as it is not really designed to work well in a code-only environment and it doesn't speak MIDI at all so it is a matter of "striping" the DAW with SMPTE as well and feeding the output of that into the ES-50 master timecode input, but the ES-50 was really designed to sync two analog transports together either audio/audio or audio/video and its auto-calibrate function is designed around that expectation so having only one machine connected it doesn't complete the auto-calibration including the calibration to the transport's tach signal. This resulted in an irritating runaway slave deck issue when I'd advance the transport in the DAW. Outside of that though the ES-50/51 system IMHO is a very professional unit. Very well-built and designed and built to do what it does very well and reliably. My plan at this point is to transition to a Timeline MicroLynx system which speaks MIDI and is fine and is designed to accomodate a DAW/ATR relationship or ATR/ATR which is really what I need...that flexibility. I haven't used the BR-20T yet but I'm sure I will be taking advantag of its timecode track features at some point...needs a pinch roller that isn't like flypaper first. :)

The IF-1000 is a Tascam unit, it is mentioned in the MTS-1000's manual. actually the manual is for both units. Parallel and serial are mentioned in all the Tascam manuals, I dont know the significance of either.
VP

The IF-1000 is a Tascam unit, it is mentioned in the MTS-1000's manual. actually the manual is for both units. Parallel and serial are mentioned in all the Tascam manuals, I dont know the significance of either.
VP

I could be wrong (probably am) but I think a machine that uses serial protocol will allow you to arm tracks remotely whereas the MS-16 doesn't do any such thing.

Danny

Huh!

hey sweetbeats do you want to sell ES 51 THANKS DANA?

Hi everybody !
I look for the manual of Tascam synchronizer ES-50
and the manual of maintenance and schema for the 8 tracks Tascam ATR 60-8
Merci beaucoup pour votre aide !
César

You you are looking for the slave control cable, you may find this diagram useful:

torridheatstudios [dot] com/documents/Tascam/Tascam_IFC5TAS1D_Slave_cable.pdf

Oh okay. I'll have to see if I have that. It's been many years and I don't recall if I made a master cable diagram since I only needed the slave cable. I think I at least have the master cable diagram from Tascam but it's a bit messy, which is why I re-worked the slave cable diagram. Let me get back to you. I'm away from my library at the moment and need to look and see if I have it and upload it to my ftp site.

Tascam ES-50 cables

Hello sweetbeats,

Though I know that this is quite an old thread I try my luck anyway...
Would those diagrams mentioned below still be available by any chance?
I hope I'm not causing too much inconvenience.

Best regards,
musbase

Oh okay. I'll have to see if I have that. It's been many years and I don't recall if I made a master cable diagram since I only needed the slave cable. I think I at least have the master cable diagram from Tascam but it's a bit messy, which is why I re-worked the slave cable diagram. Let me get back to you. I'm away from my library at the moment and need to look and see if I have it and upload it to my ftp site.

Back