Tascam 8 channel mixing consoles

needledrop

Hello all,
I'm looking to buy an 8 channel mixer to compliment my 80-8 recorder. I'll only be using it to track to tape and also to eq recorded tracks before sending them to my computer. I record one track at a time, and do most my mixing in the computer so I dont need tons of flexibility, But I am interested to know the sonic differences of the eq's (and of the mixers themselves) for models such as the 5, 5B, 30, 35. These all seem to have the fuctions i need. Can anybody tell me the different characteristics in "sound" for these mixers?

THX
P.S. sorry about the dbl. post

I have both the 30 and the 35 but I am afraid I cant tell you the differance in their sounds but I think I would at least go with a 30 or 35 just because of the newer design and better EQ on both. The 5 and 3 series are alot older and dont have the features that the newer ones do. Also if you can find a m1508 they are kinda the next generation up and are real nice to work with.
Also like Beck mentioned the 206 208 models would be a nice way to go also.

Thanks for the reply guys,
HERM, Does either the 30 or 35 have pahntom power? What is the difference between these 2 mixers?
And
GHOST, Sometimes i get confused and think Clean = Sterile. I had a mackie mixer and it was the cleanest, thinnest, worst sounding board IMHO I've ever used. I'm looking for a fatter Grittier sound. Should i be looking for older models?

needledrop said:
GHOST, Sometimes i get confused and think Clean = Sterile. I had a mackie mixer and it was the cleanest, thinnest, worst sounding board IMHO I've ever used. I'm looking for a fatter Grittier sound. Should i be looking for older models?
I was referring primarily to the amount of self noise the older microphone pre amps would generate. In a way, that can be loosely termed "grit" and if that's what you really want, the older TASCAM and older still, TEAC boards will definitely deliver! :D

As far as what you experience with a Mackie board, no, I wouldn't characterize a newer cleaner TASCAM board sounding as bad as that. ;)

Cheers! :)

Phantom power I think is not on any of the tascam older smaller mixers. I think you need to get into a mixder like the m308b before you get phantom.
I use a ART phantom box that runs on two 9 volts or an extenal 12 vlolt supply for use with my 30 and 35. The one I have is the two channel version and sells for about 50.00 bucks, They also have a single unit but its 40.00.

Thanks again guys for the reply.
I'm getting closer. I'm still confused about the differences of the 30 and 35. It seems they were both introduced in the same year, and i read an archived post where (Reel?) was describing how to hook up an 8 track to a M30. It sounded a pretty complicated. Is the M35 a little more straight ahead?

Last edited:
Just a suggestion...If you want a tascam mixer with good preamps that is quiet and has phantom power on every channel, i suggest the M-520. You can usually find them on Ebay for a decent price. Its a 20 channel, 8 bus. Maybe a little bigger than you want, but you could "grow into it." I own one and it is a very good sounding, very versatile mixer.

I agree,...

the M520 is an awesome 20x8 mixer that pretty much has everything,... except convenient portability. ;)

Back