Tascam 688 - interface clipping issue

Environments

I have a 688 in which to get to the computer I obviously have to use an interface, that being an RME - Octamic.

The tape out's on the 688 bypass the channel strip and the levels of each channel are uncontrollable. so I have experienced the Interface clipping (even when all pre's are set to far left counterclockwise and -10db on) before, which can be inaudible in PT.

Recently I sent a song from the 688 to the computer through the RME to find some pops and clicks that are quite audible and frequent throughout this particular track but not always appearing in the hottest/fullest signal parts sometimes being in a part of quite moderately low signal. I tried re sending the track from the tape machine a couple of times to see if it were a one off thing to find that these pops and clicks would show up again, whether it be in the same place as the initial bounce or as well as in different places, nonetheless they are still there.

Ive always had the preamps set as far "OFF" as possible to do this and have always recorded quite hot into the tape so I guess my question is what is the best way to reduce clipping when pre's are clipping when set completely to the far left "0 attenuation" ?

Thanks

It is odd that you would even be getting an input signal with all your gains turned down. Have you considered using something like the Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 2 In / 2 Out USB Audio Interface with Digital Output? This would allow you to bypass your RME (Sweet by the way) and go straight from your tape player into your PC. For $29.00 it may just do the trick.

Why purchase a lower quality 2-channel interface to "bypass" the higher quality multi-channel interface the OP already has and needs? The Octamic is setup for line level inputs when the input level knob is set to fully CCW.

To the OP, is it possible the pops and clicks are not audio clipping, but a buffer under-run causing the unwanted noises? Have you tried increasing your buffer size?

Have you tested to make sure your computer is configured and maintained such that it can handle the simultaneous track count you are recording to the DAW?

Do you have multiple digital devices in your DAW rig and is there any possibility this is a wordclock conflict/sync issue? What is the master wordclock reference in the DAW rig and if it is the Octamic do you have the ADC dip switch board configured correctly?

What kind of cables are you using to interface the 688 with the Octamic? RCA to unbalanced 1/4" TS?

Can you confirm the popping/clicking is coming from the input amp by monitoring the input and playing back a tape from the 688? I'm not sure how the monitoring works on the Octamic...

Ive always had the preamps set as far "OFF" as possible to do this and have always recorded quite hot into the tape so I guess my question is what is the best way to reduce clipping when pre's are clipping when set completely to the far left "0 attenuation" ?
Bold font added by Mack.

Why purchase a lower quality 2-channel interface to "bypass" the higher quality multi-channel interface the OP already has and needs? The Octamic is setup for line level inputs when the input level knob is set to fully CCW.

It was simply a suggestion to answer the OPs question. When I troubleshoot problems I bypass items. In this case it would be the interface to rule it out as the possible reason for causing their audio to clip. Nothing more.

Back