tascam 688 - disassembly and (hopefully) repair)

I didn't find the time for digging more into the console repairing. I'll try with a 2 track cassette but I don't have one actually.
Too much trouble actually in France with elections, the Mainstream is totally corrupt, nightmare.

First post, just to say I have a service manual and user manual for the 688 if anyone wants a copy send me a PM. This thread rules btw, helped me a lot so I want to pass it on.

I would love a service manual for the 688 if you still have one! Thanks!

I have been recently working on a 688 control project to create a low cost open replacement for the Tascam controllers. It is still in development, but I think it is coming along well!

youtube dot com/watch?v=qLxog71pWQg

I would love a service manual for the 688 if you still have one! Thanks!

I have been recently working on a 688 control project to create a low cost open replacement for the Tascam controllers. It is still in development, but I think it is coming along well!

youtube dot com/watch?v=qLxog71pWQg

How did you reverse-engineer the serial protocol, out of interest? Did you use some kind of logic analyser to capture the commands from a working system, or did you disassemble the ROM of the device?
I've been idly contemplating a similar project for my Otari MX80, which I believe uses a balanced RS422 interface. Unlike the 688, the Otari is crippled without the remote because that's the only way you can arm tracks for recording. It would be handy to be able to build a software remote in case mine fails permanently. Never really done anything like this before, though.

Back