tascam 688 - disassembly and (hopefully) repair)

bobby, ive so far recapped the mecha control pcb, the led assn pcb, the vari speed pcb and the power supply, currently working on the mixer section. it can be a bit of pain at times but...its not too bad. caps are easy and cheap to find.

i have a really awful bias issue going on w one of my machines that ill need to fix at one point.

i had a scratchy headphone out as well, mine was caused by the connector underneath the mixer section leading to the output jacks, it is connected w a really flimsy wire and mine was really chewed up, needed replacing. :/

yo moog,
That's really good news! Any change of some pics of the mixer recapping? Good luck and keep the thread alive.

Tascam midi688 HELP!! Capstan motor

Hello Moogmymellowtron,

I have a Tascam midistuidio 688 just like the one you state that you have. the capstan motor went out of it recently. I actually live near the Audio Lab of GA. I called them and get this.. they THREW AWAY ALL THE MOTORS!!

that's right. the guy stated that they threw away all their inventor for this type of part. (what!?). so i am looking for a motor.

you stated that you have an extra motor. I am imploring that find the kindness in your heart to help a fellow cassette tascam owner get his machine back up and running again. otherwise i will have to shoot this recorder in the head. and we both would hate to see this happen. please help!

johnny from atlanta
johnny.che.ole@gmail. c o m
678 907 748eight

Great thread, heat! I wish I had known about this site a year ago when I had to do that same thing as you. I had to replace the capstan belt, the flywheel and the 1st channel fader pot. I was flying blind, but I've always been the kind of guy that likes to tear things apart to see how they work!;)

When I got the tape assembly apart, it was covered in sticky black gunk with no capstan belt to be seen. It had completely melted all over everything. It took me several hours, about 100 Q-tips, and a half bottle of alcohol to get it cleaned up. But I did, and got everything working great!

BTW, for those talking about tape lengths, I know the manual states that you can use 90 minute tapes, but I would suggest using nothing over 60 minutes. A couple of the other analog multi track machines I have say that. That may be part of what's leading to your pitch problems... Just a thought...

You have no idea how helpful your detailed instructions are! I was the first person to buy this 688. I pre-ordered it to eliminate the high cost of 1/2 tape on up. The quality I got before un-packing it 16 years latter after moving to Fla.1996. Now 2012 It's out of the box and when I turned it on it didn't function? I got a belt off Ebay for 3.99 w/free s&h. The belt came from DYNAMIC TECHNOLOGY GROUP, in CA. Description part #05-3112 for a 644 Capstan? In the Ebay descpt it said it fit many other decks including the 688? Hope they are right. Going to get back at it. I'm only at the part of taking out the tape transport unit. Half way there...

That is awesome. I'm gald that this is still of some use to people.

Good luck with the rest of the repair and let us know how it turns out.

488 and 688 replacement capstan motors

Good luck with the rest of the repair and let us know how it turns out.[Gotta take at least 8 nos before you get a yes]

here is where to find replacement motors for 488 and 688 tascam cassette studios......:thumbs up:

mainelectronics.com Electronics Motor Page
they stock them ...the motors are the same for both units and many others

What I need: One working Tascam 688.
What I have to trade: Two non-working Tascam 688's and a working ATS-500 Synchronizer.

Hi everyone. I have two Tascam 688 machines in overall good condition, a few issues. They haven't been used in a long time. I also have a Tascam ATS 500 Synchronizer with all the necessary cables.

I do not use the machines anymore, but here is the problem. I have a ton of old recordings that I want to transfer to digital. I've been doing DAW recording for years, but I need to have a reliable working 688 to make the transfers. Then I'd like to keep the unit as a mixer because of its programmable routing.

I'm looking for some ideas here...

What I need: One working Tascam 688.
What I have to trade: Two non-working Tascam 688's and a working ATS-500 Synchronizer.

So, I'd ship all 3 units to somebody and expect a working 688 in return. I would even consider waiting for somebody to fix one of my 688's and send it back to me.

Anybody willing?

If I remember correctly, both 688's have some payback issues (motor issues) and one of them has at least one channel not working as well (or at least flaky). These 688's were hardly ever transported and are in general good shape for their age. They were kept in climate controlled, non-smoking areas.

I'd be happy to upload images of all 3 or any more info that is requested.

I am open to other ideas as well. Just for the record I'm also looking for a solid 8 channel digital interface (USB or Firewire) that plays well with Windows. So if anybody has any creative ideas other than what I have suggested please let me know.

Thanks.

hi- can anyone tell me how to get the left side panel (mixer) off? I was going to re-cap my 688, so I removed all the screws that I can see, but something is still holding on to it at the top of the mixer- I can lift it at the bottom near the armrest, but the top near the inputs won't budge...
Thanks!

Sorry, didn't see this until now. Glad you got it figured out!

Thanks... I'm going through the recorder to replace some caps- starting with the Master section, then moving on to the channels and power...
I've already replaced the belt and pinch roller- thanks to your excellent tutorial!

Good luck with the rest of the repair and let us know how it turns out.[Gotta take at least 8 nos before you get a yes]

here is where to find replacement motors for 488 and 688 tascam cassette studios......:thumbs up:

mainelectronics.com Electronics Motor Page
they stock them ...the motors are the same for both units and many others

The motor's are the same? That's amazing news for me. My 688 just stopped working and I pretty sure it's the motor or belt. My 488 works in this way perfectly but the inputs are wrecked! Do you know if the belt is the same?

The motor's are the same? That's amazing news for me. My 688 just stopped working and I pretty sure it's the motor or belt. My 488 works in this way perfectly but the inputs are wrecked! Do you know if the belt is the same?

I myself don't know the answer to either question never having owned and dismantled a 488 to compare. I don't know the poster who provided that link about the motor, and a quick google search just now yielded nothing.

I will say though, the belt is so easy to replace, that you might as well try that first before even looking at the motor, you know? If the belt doesn't cure your ills, at least you have a new belt and can always pursue the motor option at that time. I assume you're considering cannibalizing the 488 to repair the 688?

Maybe someone more knowledgeable here in the forum knows whether the two units share the same motor and/or belt?

hiya, i bought two motors, with shipping came out to about 17 bucks, theyre 7 bucks each. really fast shipping! plugged in and worked great. Exact same Mabuchi brand motors. the motor number is EG530KD-2B. which could be found here...

Audio Lab of Ga

as for the belt, i purchased one from tascam about three weeks ago. Dealt w really shitty service getting it. Also, there is a site where you can order replacement belts for the machine i just seemed to have misplaced the link. ill post when i find it.
Hey! did you ever find the link after? I've been trying to get one now for ages and the only people I've dealt with keep saying it'll be a few more weeks... constantly.

hey! I'm trying really hard to get the front arm rest off my 688, all the screws are out and everything but it just won't budge. Any tips?

Hi all.
firts i want to thanks all for this usufull information.
i bought a 688 last year and at the time i have tryed pay/record and it worked... and then the 688 was stoped till yesterday and when i turn on i saw that the play/records button didnt work.
i found this forum and i bought a belt for the tape unit and i have replace it.
But the problem still there...
the rew and ffwd buttons are working fine.
I using a 30m tape.
Should i replace another spare part?
There is anyone who has the service manual?
Thanks in advanced.
Renato from Portugal.

Hi, hopefully you're still around.. i'm having a hard time getting the arm rest off from unit. it happened to me years ago with another same unit model and i ended up braking section of arm rest. I'm not sure about 5 screws you mentioned. I have loosened them up but still not releasing arm rest. I greatly appreciate your advise.

Thanks,

Gus

Back