Tascam 58 score

themaddog

Rockin' & Rollin'
Hey guys,
I scored a Tascam 58 a few days ago off of Craigs' List. It cost $180, included the remote, two of the external DBX'ers, and some spare take-up reels.

Only downsides are it was pretty dusty and has no manual. However, it played back pretty well, we tried a test tone on each track and they all played back pretty damn close to 0.

I have a few questions about this unit if anyone knows and cares to answer. First, there are RCA connectors on the back, no XLR's. I was under the impression this was a +4 machine, was I wrong? It doesn't matter to me either way, and I'd actually prefer it to be -10, but for $180 I take what I can get, he he.

My next question is, has anybody on this forumn successfully connected two analog multi-track recorders? I want to try and connect it to my MSR-16, as both of these machines have Accessory 1 and 2 jacks. I was thinking of tracking the drums on the 58, to get a really fat sound (with only 7 tracks) and have that linked to my MSR-16 for everything else. Are the cables hard to make, or even better, merely modify? What are the perils of two connected machines? I've tried to read a lot about this in the past few days before bothering everyone here about it. I have an understanding of how this all works, but not any of the problems it can have (other than audio level dropouts and such). For instance, one article I read said it can take a long time to sync up the two machines when you hit "play" on the master. Any idea on how long?

Also, it is a big difference between using a Midiizer like the MTS-1000 (on Accessory 2) or SMPTE like the ES-50 (on Accessory 1)? To me, SMPTE seems more suited, as I don't know if older sequencers, such as the MTS-30, which was suggested for us in the MSR-16 manual and is from the same time-frame, could be used for syncing. I do understand that one is meant more for MIDI usage, to a drum machine, keyboard, or whatever, and the other for time syncing with video equipment, but didn't know if either one could be used for exclusively linking two tape machines.

Thanks for all of your help. Also, if anyone knows where I can get a copy of the manual for the Tascam 58, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

-MD

Last edited:
MD,

Congrats on the 58 score! Nice machine...even nicer price! :)

As to the RCA only jack pack; that's definitely not the norm for that model as the standard version offered both and the OB version was only balanced so, yours is a unique one! :eek:

Considering though that the dbx units only worked with the RCA connectors only, it is as you say, no biggie.

As to syncing up the 58 to an MSR16, ordinarily the 58 would come with an ELCO connector which is not the same as an accessory2 connector and thus would make wiring up special cables to a synchronizer that much more challenging. Are you saying that your 58 has an accesory2 connector on the back? If so, that too would be highly unusual for that model and if that's the case, an MTS-1000 could lock them up, no problem...short of finding an MTS1000 that is?

Cheers! :)

Tascam 58 + DBX

I looked at the machine again since writing this post (my studio is about 25 miles away from where I live). It only has the RCA ins, and the accessory merely says "Accessory," just like the 388's I think. I does not have 1 and 2.

I'm going to test it at band practice today if I get the chance, to hear what this beast sounds like. So far I've only had the opportunity to put tones onto it.

It came with two DBX units, do I just hook them (the RCA's) right up and I'm ready to go? There's one funny looking cable that looks like it goes into the back of the machine. Do I need to hook up both of the units into the machine to use it, or just one? There's only one port in the back for it anyways. Sorry if I'm asking really basic questions, but I don't have the manual for these units or the recorder. Thanks for all your help.

-MD

themaddog said:
It came with two DBX units, do I just hook them (the RCA's) right up and I'm ready to go? There's one funny looking cable that looks like it goes into the back of the machine. Do I need to hook up both of the units into the machine to use it, or just one? There's only one port in the back for it anyways. Sorry if I'm asking really basic questions, but I don't have the manual for these units or the recorder. Thanks for all your help.
-MD

I understand that the control cables are chained. You plug the cable from No.1 into the tape machine, and then plug No.2 into No.1.

Back