tascam 58 humm woes...

jeancoltrane

So I've had this issue ever since getting my 58 back in the summer.... i brought it in for repairs for a separate issue (which turned to be the motherboard/main control chip was fried, I was lucky enough to get a new one on ebay) and just got it back. I mentioned the hum issue to the tech but i guess he didnt notice it, or thought the new control board fixed it... but alas not. So back to the shop in a few days it goes.... but hopefully someone here might have some ideas that could help.

So there is hum on every channel output, only in repro... and the hum isnt printed to the tape so the problem lies after that in the circuit somewhere. The hum is pretty much the same volume on every channel except ch7 where its a bit louder. I can make the hum go away by pressing on the bottom plate of the machine, or by pushing in hard the rca output cable (rca outputs only on this 58) I've read there can be issues with the way the 58's rca jacks are mounted.... since the hum goes away when different areas of the machine have pressure applied, could this be something simple like a bad contact/ground on one of the outputs? or something not grounding properly inside the machine? possibly the louder humming output is the culprit & spreading the hum to the other outputs as well..? Sorry, not a very technical guy, but maybe someone here has encountered this

Thanks for any help

The hum could be an earth loop in your studio? Or it could be that during the repair an internal earth with was disconnected and not reconnected?

Alan.

In my experience, that is pretty common in audio. Usually, it fairly obvious - like with a rca jack, but no guarantees . I have one four-channel out board, here, that got banged enough to break a trace on the board

Only happens in repro? What about in sync? If it is only in repro, then it is the repro head picking it up.
What level? If it is 60 dB down on program then its probably as good as this machine does. I dont think that machine had head shields?

We know what he said in message #1. It sure could be the head block, but there are more common areas. Beyond that, one has to make sure the mention of the hum gets on the service ticket

Thanks everyone! Got things sorted, turned out to be just a loose screw inside the back that all the rca jacks were grounded to.

Back