Tascam 52 and 58 models?

ron-e-g

I have been trying to research the different models of the 50 series R/R's. I've seen two different models of the 52. One has the input and output settings on the face. The other does not. And then it seems I've seen two different 58's. One has the finger debit on the tape guide (for edits) the other doesn't.

Anyone know the difference? other than they look different.

52 without the external pots also only had RCA pin jacks on the back. The newer version with the external controls had both RCA and xlr's.

On the 58 without the divot on the shuttle dial, not sure? Maybe just an older production run there.

There was also the 55-2 and 55-8 which were the same decks but for the Japan market only and labeled as TEAC decks.

Cheers! :)

Thanks Ghost.

I really had a hard time finding any info. on these. So..the 52 without the external pots had only non balanced in/outs.

Thanks Ghost.

I really had a hard time finding any info. on these. So..the 52 without the external pots had only non balanced in/outs.

All the images I've seen of that one over the years, yes. That would also appear to be the older/original version too, early 80's. Not sure of the exact year of when that changed but I do have a brochure from 83' and the newer one with the external pots was shown in it with no mention of the other version.

Cheers! :)

I know this is an old post but these machines come up for sale quite often and this info might be of value to someone. I have a 52-NB with RCA and XLR and knobs on the front to adjust input level and a headphone jack with volome control. It has a preamp section and mics can be plugged right into it. Here is a foto. The other 52 in the other foto is just a 52 and has XLR and RCA but does not have a preamp section for headphones and you must use a mixing board or external preamp. You must also use mic preamps or a mixing board. Be advised that no parts are available for these and Terrys rubber rollers and wheels will replace the rubber on the tack wheel and pinch roller for $95.00. All the rubber on my 2 Tascam ATR 60-2 , 48 , 52 and 32 became sticky and need retiring. Make sure the heads are good and everything works or you could spend a lot of money or have a deck that needs a part that cant be found. My 52 needs a pinch roller rod assembly and i will probably have to make one since i cant find one anywhere. Also the mother boards on the 30-50 series were wave soldered and they develope loose connections. If you can solder thats shouldnt be a problem. If the deck has ben stored a long time it will probably need a major cap and lube job. I prefer to buy decks that have ben in regular use but are not wore out. A friend bought a deck that was stored in a basement and it was rusted and corroded in the inside and was worthless junk. Never store electronic or musical instruments in a basement, they will become scrap heap material. Even a damp unheated garage is bad.

Attachments

• Tascam 52-NB mine.jpg
    Tascam 52-NB mine.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Tascam 52 no knobs.jpg
    Tascam 52 no knobs.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Back