Tascam 488 mkII

artschool

hi there everyone...i'm new to the site and i'm happy to have found it.
i was wondering if anyone can give me any more info on the tascam 488 mkII...i read the review on this site already. wondering what a good price would be for one. also, does it have effects-send on the unit? and if people would recommend it...are they reliable? anything to look out for when buying one? any more info would be greatly appreciated...thank you so much, david

They're pretty good machines, and I believe there are two effects sends on it. I used to own the 488 mki, it's not a bad machine. A good price for one would be between $100-$200. The Tascam 688 is pretty much the same machine, but it has a better mixer and lets you record on all 8 tracks at once (the 488 can only do up to 4 at a time). The 688 goes for around $250-$350 on eBay.

If you're just getting started in analog recording, I would recommend the Tascam 388, which uses 1/4" reels and is also 8 tracks. It also has a built in mixer, but is a much larger. A good price for a 388 is about $400.

With that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good looking 488 or 688 on eBay, because shipping either of those machines is not a big deal. But, the 388 is a very large machine and weighs close to 100 lbs., so it would not be a good idea to ship that. 388's pop up from time to time though. Check out craigslist.org in your area under the musical instruments section and see what you can find. It's always adviseable to have a look at these machines before you purchase them anyways.

Some of these may seem really obvious, but if you check out a machine, remember to do the following:
The machine powers up
Make sure it can rewind, fastford, and play tape
Make sure it can record on each track
Check for any rust or other unusual wear anywhere
Check that the heads are pretty clean

Also check that the rubber on the pinch roller is fresh, and not sticky or hard. If it is, that's OK, replacements are relatively cheap, but you won't want to run new tape on it.

Hope this helps,
-MD

hi, i would have started a new thread, but it won't let me for some reason. :confused:

anyways, i have zero recording experience, and i would like to get a tascam 388. do you think this is to advanced for someone just sarting out? would i be better off getting a 4 track cassett recorder?

388 is leaps and bounds above the 488 and isnt any harder to use. Its a great machine.

Here's a question, what exactly is the difference between a 488 and a mkII, besides the added on mkII, See I got a mkII but it came with a 488 owners manual.
What am I missing here?
Thanks to anyone who answers this question.

If I remember correctly, the mkii has 2 xlr inputs, both which can have phanton power, where the 488 (mki) has only two 1/4 mic inputs. All of the other inputs are line level, which means if you wanted to record with more than two microphones at a time with either set-up you would need external preamps.

-MD

The 488mkII is not functionally any different than the 488(std), with respect to basic overall operation.

The 488mkII has 2-XLR inputs and 4 preamps.
The 488(std) has no XLR's and 2 preamps.

The 488mkII has 3-band EQ with mid-sweep.
The 488(std) has 2-band fixed EQ.

The 488mkII has a bright 2-color FL display.
The 488(std) has a non-backlit B/W LCD display.

I think anything under $300 is a good deal on the 488mkII. The 488(std/mkII) has 2 Eff-sends, as well as 2 Insert points on the first 2 inputs. Look for one that's clean an appears to be low use.

The 488mkII class of machines is fine, but the 388 is a huge boost in features and production value, for nearly the same cost. Given the choice of only one, I'd pick the 388, unless carry-it-under-your-arm portability is an issue.

I cut my teeth on a 488. I love it. I've ran mine into the ground for literally ten years and it still works perfectly. Sure, it's not the best sounding thing in the world, and the pre's are sub par knowing what I know now, but it's still a great machine. In the early 90's, I paid a pretty good penny for it. They're super cheap now by comparison.

Sorry for catching this late. I loved my 488 MKII. Still have it, just that I have bought a reel since then. Did a few songs on the 488, only one is posted online though. If you go to soundclick.com and search artist Dale O'Brien you will find, among other previous studio recordings, a song called "Wild-Eyed Jim's". It is the best I could get out of the 488 and I'm happy with the results. Not trying to plug by any means, but I think it is a good example of what someone new to recording can get the machine to do.
If I had it all to do again, I think the advice on the 388 is true, and unless you own a 2" tape machine there is always better out there than what you have. Anyway, give the song a listen and understand that I was using some outboard gear with it so it is not ALL 488 that you hear. If you think that is good for you, buy 488. If you want more fidelity, get a 388. If you really need the next step, go 1/2". If that just doesn't do and you are made of money, buy a 2" machine. I know this started out as a quantative question, so yes mine has been VERY reliable, though I haven't put many hours on it, yes it has TWO effects send/fetruns, and is a very good machine with some great options. In all I like the 488 MKII and I think you would be more than happy with what it is capable of doing for you. If you haven't purchased, definitely look into the 388. :)

Back