Tascam 48-OB to IF-1000 cables

Chris Marcelli

Does anybody have a diagram of the connections between a Tascam 48 (Elco 38 pin connector) and the IF-1000 (either the 50-pin or 24-pin Centronics connector)? The pin assignments are in the manual, but I can't figure out a few of them. Are there shielding requirements? I also need to figure out the 50-pin IDC cable connecting the IF-1000 with the MTS-1000 Midiizer. Can anybody save this project?

Pin assignments are here. http://https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5ifAId3BViMMWltQklXSlBMYkE/edit?usp=docslist_api

Chris, what are you trying to accomplish?

There are two protocols, serial and parallel. The 48 uses one type, the MTS-1000 uses the other. I don't know if you can use the IF-1000 to interface those two. I do know you can't use the MTS-1000 to interface directly with the 48. I'm attaching the master and slave ELCO to Cinch cable diagrams I re-worked from (messy) originals I got from Teac years ago.

Yes the cables need to be shielded and there are other components in there as well (diodes, resistors...see the attachments). And there are changes to make depending on the machine to which the cables are attached.

View attachment Tascam ES-50 MASTER Sync Cable Schematic.pdf
View attachment Tascam ES-50 SLAVE Sync Cable Schematic.pdf

Sweetbeats, thank you! I think those will be very helpful. The Tascam IF-1000 is a serial to parallel interface made to use parallel gear with the Midiizer. Whether it works is another story. Looking at the Midiizer manual (the IF-1000 is at the end of the MTS-1000 manual) suggests that its easy. Just hook it up and go! Yeah right....

Tascam IF-1000 example 1.jpgTascam IF-1000 example 2.jpg

To answer your question, I'd like to sync my 48 to either another 48 or a 238. Sorry, those pages came out huge. The IF-1000 is a passive box made by Tascam that converts serial signals to be used by a parallel equipped device like the 48. The IF-1000 connects to the Midiizer by what looks like a 50 pin IDC ribbon cable. I'm hoping its pinout is 1>1, 2>2 and so on. Then you connect the parallel device (Tascam 48) using the IF-1000's outputs (cinch connectors) to the deck's Elco connector. I don't know much about serial and parallel conventions, but it's all Tascam stuff and the manuals say this is how it's done. They just don't say much about the actual cables.

Last edited:
OHHHHHH okay...I had the IF-1000 confused with another interface model. Okay. Good enough. You should be good to go with the proper cables, and those PDFs I attached above should provide what you need. Let me know if you have questions as I made a slave cable at one point to interface my 58 with an ES-50.

and it actually worked!

I haven't made the Tascam 48 to IF-1000 cable yet, but I put together a PW-5MD serial cable. I can control the Tascam 238 remotely, so something is working under the hood. I'm trying to get the 238 to chase the 48 (48 as code only master) without the parallel interface, no luck yet.

Is it your understanding that the pinouts for the ES-50 and the IF-1000 are the same? Or are the schematics just an aid to help me decipher the possible pinouts? Either way, they are incredibly helpful.

I don't know for sure about the interchangeability of the ES-50 cables with the IF-1000. I like to think they'd be the same but I don't know.

And I know little about the MTS-1000. So you have time code striped on a tape you're reproducing on the 48 and the audio output of that track is connected to a time code input on the MTS-1000?

Can somebody with an MTS-1000 weigh in?

In their tape recorders with parallel ports, Tascam used two type of connectors:
A) Elco (38 pin), marked "Accessory" (MS16, 48, ATR-60, ATR-80 and more)
B) DB-37 (37 pin), marked "Accessory 1" (TSR-8, MSR-16, MSR 24, ... ? ...)

In the Manuals, the ports of the synchronizers ES-50, IF-500 and IF-1000 are equal. So the corresponding " Master/Slave cable kit" for an especific tape recorder (wich I still don't have and must build) works with the three devices.

For more, see the ortographic errors "signlas" (for "signals") and "DIRCTION" for "DIRECTION" between pins 9&10 in the "Master I/F" description of the three named devices. (not only the circuits equal ... the pinout page text is the same! ... and copied with its errors!)

Cheers!
Analog never dies!

Last edited:
Back