Tascam 464 Troubles

christopantz

Hi everyone. I've got a Tascam 464. Just about everything on it works except for one thing. Track 4 will not play back. I know that it records because if i record on track 4 and then flip the tape over I hear the track played backwards through track 2, but nothing plays through track 4. I understand this is an issue with the play head, so how would one go about fixing this? Thanks!

Actually the 464 is a two-head machine, the playback head also does the recording. So it's not going to be the head. Make absolutely sure the head is clean first, after that the playback electronics would be the next suspect, I guess. But I'm not really sure how I'd go about diagnosing that side of things.

I'll try cleaning the head when I get home. Just eyeing the heads last night they didn't look dirty, but would a dirty head ever cause me to get fine recordings and absolutely 0 playback?

I'll try cleaning the head when I get home. Just eyeing the heads last night they didn't look dirty, but would a dirty head ever cause me to get fine recordings and absolutely 0 playback?

Possibly. It's a narrow-track system and they are more prone to dirt upsetting them. I have seen people report dirt-related problems like this, but whether it's usually record working playback not, or playback working, record not... I really can't remember. It's the cheapest and simplest option so it's worth trying first :3

Just tried that, but the issue persisted. I've got the machine opening up and I'm spraying contact cleaner where the heads meet the circuit board to see if that does anything.

Back