Tascam 464 - Extra 2 Channel Strips?

christopantz

Hi everyone. I have a Tascam 464. It's a 4 track machine, but it's got 2 extra channel strips labeled "5/6" and "7/8". I'm wondering what they are for since the machine only supports 4 tracks.

Yes. You can have up to 4 mono sources and two stereo sources connected at the same time and submix those to tape tracks.

And they probably serve as effects returns as well, come mix-time, although I haven't looked at the manual to confirm this. Even if the unit has dedicated effects returns, though, you'd do better to use them because you'd have EQ control.

In addition to what others have said, more is better.
You can add midi instruments, you can add live instruments, you can add effects. Etc, etc, etc.
With the limits of only having 4 tape tracks, why wouldn't someone want 'more'.

You are correct, Beagle...that's a typical application of those inputs since there are no dedicated effects returns...inputs 5-6 and 7-8 work great for any mono or stereo line level sources like keyboards or the output of effects processors.

Thanks for all the help. I'm just a little confused because the lcd only shows me meters for 4 tracks, so how would i mix in the two other tracks?

You would just use your ears. If using as effects returns, you'd be using your ears to determine the amount of desired reverb, now wouldn't you.
:)

I believe the manual for the 424mkII and mkIII are readily available online as a free PDF. Do a google search for "Tascam 424 PDF" and see what you get. Both of those manuals will have relevant information that will translate well to your 464 in terms of signal routing, bussing, recording and mixing.

Back