TASCAM 424 / Replacing Capstan Motor

Hi,

A friend of mine recently got a free 424 for free as it wasn't powering on. I bought a new power adapter for it and made sure it was the same exact one for the machine. I got the thing to turn on but after testing it I see that the capstan motor doesn't run at all. The FF and RW will both work but the transport will not engage with the tape and the capstan doesn't turn.

I have looked around and found some similar issues with the MKII and MKIII and read how the motor for these machines work on all three generations. The problem is, the two places I found that used to sell the particular motor are no longer offering it.

Does anyone know of a site or store that I could look into? Also, I have an old Porta02 that doesn't work and I was thinking that if the capstan motor is still good in that then maybe it would be a replacement for the 424? Doubt it but figured I'd look into it.

Hi Level Anything. As nobody has replied I just thought I'd mention that I thought one of the motors had stopped working on one of my 244s, only to find they had seized up as a result of the belts turning to gunge. Worked fine after I had cleaned up around the shaft. I guess you tried his already....

Hey Findlay,

This particular 4-track didn't have any belt degradation needing cleaning from the inside. It's the 424 MKI, the first 424 (out of the three "MK's") that Tascam released. It's not mine, so I don't know if it's still got the original belts in it but the the capstan and counter belts that are in it now are pretty good, more or less. I turned the axle on it's own to see if it maybe just needed a push, but nothing worked.

About to call it a day with this but I really wanted to get it going for my buddy who hasn't had one of these before. We'll see

Back