Tascam 424 mkiii right panning issue

Hey guys,

I’ve just purchased a tascam 424 mkiii off craigslist. It’s in great cosmetic condition and was only used a few times according to previous owner. I’ve been playing old cassettes I recorded on my old tascam 424 mkiii and even tried recording on a new cassette but for some reason I can’t pan any of the four tracks hard right. Instead of working like a pan knob it basically raises track volume when panned hard left and lowers volume to almost indistinguishable listening panned hard right. I’ve also noticed the lcd’s L/R meter is showing that there’s volume loss as I turn the knob right the right display shows there’s no audio coming through the mix (I’m monitoring on headphones.) I’ve recorded a bunch on these machines so I don’t suspect user error here. There’s an old tascam/teac repair shop in New Jersey I’m gonna give a call and get a quoted on Monday for repair if I can’t come up with a solution on here.

Thanks for reading!

Ian

Last edited:
Hey, Ian, sorry about your luck. That’s a bummer.

Any follow up you can share?

And just to make sure it’s clear, am I correct you can record to any of the 4 tracks using the DIRECT function, but is the R buss not working when recording or playback?

Never got the right panning issue figured out on my own. I ended up taking it to Analogique in NYC still waiting for a quote..

I was able to record on tracks 1 and 3 because you pan hard left when recording on those tracks. I was unable to record on tracks 2 and 4 using neither DIRECT or R BUSS.

The guy I talked to at the shop said the issue wasn’t uncommon but was surprised how clean the unit was.

Will update this thread when more infos available considering there’s no helpful info on this topic yet.

Back