Tascam 424 MKII Tape heads wont engadge up or down

chuckebaby

Hi and thank you all for taking a look.
I have 2 machines, a Tascam 424 MK II and a Tascam 488 MKII and both seem to have the same exact issue.
The playback heads are stuck in the tape. I have managed to get the tape out and open them up.
Both my machines use a newer Cam style operation for playback heads up/down position (not belt like in older models).

Just a little info: I replaced both the capstan motors only a few months ago and both seemed to be fine for last few months.
It might be temperature related as it is cold here and lubrication might also be a factor.
Im just not sure where to start. I took one machine apart and tried a few things but came up empty.

Hoping for some thoughts. Thank you for any insight on my problem.

Chuck

Hi there.

I believe there is a separate motor that drives the actuator cam, so if possible I’d start by making sure (if the motor isn’t running when it’s supposed to) the motor is getting power when is supposed to be working. So everything worked fine with these machines after the capstan assembly replacements?

Hey thank you for replying. Yes all worked fine for a while.
Im going to open them up again tonight and check for a secondary motor. I believe there was only one motor in these that ran the capstan and a second belt the cam shaft. but I will double check.

thank you again for replying. I know you've been busy, so it means a lot to me.
I've learned a mountain of knowledge from reading your other posts here and on another site. I'm extremely grateful.

Back