Tascam 414 noisy reel

sytnax

Hello all,

I have recently bought a used Tascam 414 and it has some noise issues, coming from the left reel I believe.

I am not a technician and wonder if this is something I can fix by myself. If not I will return it to the seller.

Could you please give me some advices?

Thank you.

---------- Update ----------

I am a new user so can't post any videos yet. Gonna post videos in the next few posts.

Here are videos that demonstrate the problem:

dropbox.com/s/a95gehmk708mstt/video-1514985768.mp4?dl=0

In the first video you can see that the right reel is smooth but the left reel is not and makes creaking sound when it moves.

dropbox.com/s/xn9fanxmnb0nufm/video-1514985777.mp4?dl=0

In the second video you can see in play mode the left reel struggles to move and makes loud noises.

dropbox.com/s/a2831rf4k9tzcxs/video-1514985784.mp4?dl=0

In the last video you can see in rewind mode the left reel makes more loud noises than it should.

I have only tried one cassette at the moment. But with the left reel in this condition I believe all cassettes will exhibit the problem.

Not so. Years of 4 track cassette recording taught me that cassettes were to source of most ills. try a couple of other cassettes just to eliminate them as a problem.

+1 ^^^^^

And maybe something of a better quality tape...Maxell XLII or TDK SA for instance, preferably C-60.

I can’t tell from the videos the source of the problem, so the easiest 1st step is try a different tape.

I would just have the unit serviced by a person who works on these. This one problem is just the tip of the ice berg. There are many things to be lubricated and new belts to be put in. I work on them in Chicago but already have 173 unit to finish now. I am known as Skywave Tape Deck Repair- you might have heard on me.

Back