Tascam 388 Wireless Infrared Remote

migrant worker

Posted about this on Tape Op as well. Thought you guys might think this was cool:

A very pragmatic addition to any 388 user's studio. The guy who makes these has had me testing this unit for the past few months. He's a really great guy and we have collaborated via email and postal mail regarding R&D for one of the coolest add-ons I've bought for my 388 yet. The guy's name is Dan McCarroll. He's an electronic engineer in Canada and is now producing these for sale to 388 owners (as well as some other tascam tape decks which utilize the 12-pin remote connector). I've included some pics below. These are equipped with the functions: play, stop, rewind, fast forward, and one-button record (meaning you only have to push record on the remote, not play+rec as on the transport controls). Figured you guys might be interested. Hit Dan up (he'll probably post on here) or PM me and I'll give you his contact info. Peace.

-Matt

PS: Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Scroll down for pics!...

Last edited:
Very Interesting Migrant worker.
Do you think this could be adapted to other machines? Like a Tascam TSR-8 which I think has a 7 or 9 pin connector? I have been thinking about seeing if this is possible for my TSR-8.

TSR-8 remote

Well... It took us some time to get this to work for the 300 (it was originally designed for the x1000R, but the voltage is different with the 388 (approx 14-15 volts at the remote pinout). I'm not familiar with the TSR-8 (and I'm not sure if Dan has the parts to make the proper connector). I'm not sure what all it would involve, but probably just a different connector and depending on the voltage, perhaps a few resistors (if the voltage is less) or something. I certainly can't speak for him, but my experience with Dan's work has been good and I feel sure he could do it. Now, whether he wants to at this point is another issue. I'd hit him up and send him a schematic, etc. so he knows what he's dealing with and stuff. He's usually really quick to get back to you and I'm sure he'll shoot you straight. I just emailed him a link to this post so he can answer questions, etc. so he should be posting here in a couple of days, but I'll PM you his email anyway.

The 12 pin connector used on th 388 remote is the same as

the 34, 38 & 246. Not sure what else. The wired remote (RC-70, RC-71, C-90) is usually adequate for most users.:eek:;)

It's cool that someone's tinkering with stuff like this, though.:eek:;)

By the looks of it the Remote interface on the TSR-8 is a digital interface. There are about six connections used, of which two are for the record light and most of the others are power. One single line is used for 'Remote In' and it goes straight into one of the microcontrollers, which probably explains why the deck crashed when I plugged the remote in while it was switched on one day :eek:

However, you should be able to do some stuff pretty easily with the Accessory-1 parallel interface.

By the looks of it the Remote interface on the TSR-8 is a digital interface. There are about six connections used, of which two are for the record light and most of the others are power. One single line is used for 'Remote In' and it goes straight into one of the microcontrollers, which probably explains why the deck crashed when I plugged the remote in while it was switched on one day :eek:

However, you should be able to do some stuff pretty easily with the Accessory-1 parallel interface.

The 388 should be off when you plug the rc-71 remote in?

Conrad

The 388 should be off when you plug the rc-71 remote in?
Conrad
Probably, depends if it's buffered or not. Best to switch it off and be sure. And try to avoid tugging the thing out while it's still on.
The TSR-8 and 388 are very different animals internally though, so it might not make any difference on that machine. But I can personally testify that you do not want to plug in or unplug the remote on the TSR-8 while it's on.

Back