Tascam 388 update - Help needed please!

famous beagle

Ok, so as some of you may remember, my old friend just recently gave me his 388. When I fired it up, all the lights seemed to work, but the transport was dead. The capstan belt was stretched out and loose, so I replaced that. Now the capstan spins, but it still won't play, rec, FF, or RW.

Here's what I've done so far (in order):

1. Replaced capstan belt (as noted above)
2. Checked fuses with DMV (all good)
3. Tried using my RC-71 remote (which I know works because it works with my 246). Initially, I got nothing; all the transport buttons were still dead. However, when I unplugged the remote, both reels started spinning (no tape was loaded). I couldn't get them to stop no matter what I did, so I had to turn off the machine. This gave me more hope because it seems that the motors still work.

4. Removed transport panel, unplugged all ribbon controllers, applied Deoxit, and replugged them: At this point, I was initially getting nothing again. But when I messed with lifting the tension rollers and/or the pinch roller, it started to get a mind of its own. A reel would begin to spin seemingly on its own and maybe stop when I would lift the tension roller (which was odd I thought). Eventually, both reels started spinning again (in opposite directions) without the tension rollers lifted. At that point, when I lifted the right roller, that reel would stop. When I lifted the left one, that reel would stop. When I released the rollers, their respective reels would start spinning again. As before, I couldn't seem to get them to stop, so I had to turn off the machine.

Another symptom is that the tape counter is wacky. It goes from showing nothing to some 2's or sometimes 0.00, etc. And some of the transport lights are wacky. For example, the "REC" light might come on, or the "Repeat" light, etc., and they won't respond to pushes.

I feel as though it's close, but I don't know what to try next. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Next?

Try it with tape on the machine to see how it behaves in an actual tape handling condition. Many transports do seemingly weird things with no tape loaded and will tell you little to nothing if you're unfamiliar with how the logic of the transport is set up to behave from an engineering perspective.

Cheers! :)

Next?

Try it with tape on the machine to see how it behaves in an actual tape handling condition. Many transports do seemingly weird things with no tape loaded and will tell you little to nothing if you're unfamiliar with how the logic of the transport is set up to behave from an engineering perspective.

Thanks. Yes I should have mentioned that I did try it with tape loaded earlier (I think after step 1 above). I just tried it again, and pretty much got the same thing. I did get a few momentary bits of movement --- I think after pressing FF --- but the few times it did, it stopped right away.

Thanks. Yes I should have mentioned that I did try it with tape loaded earlier (I think after step 1 above). I just tried it again, and pretty much got the same thing. I did get a few momentary bits of movement --- I think after pressing FF --- but the few times it did, it stopped right away.

Well, if that's the case, I'd suspect the previous owner messed around with the tension adjustment pots and probably threw everything off with a bunch of experimental turns of the controls. You'll likely need to have it looked at by an experienced technician who can do a total electro-mechanical alignment to bring it back to spec. Maybe ask your friend you got it from if he messed with that stuff and if so, get it to a tech.

Well, if that's the case, I'd suspect the previous owner messed around with the tension adjustment pots and probably threw everything off with a bunch of experimental turns of the controls. You'll likely need to have it looked at by an experienced technician who can do a total electro-mechanical alignment to bring it back to spec. Maybe ask your friend you got it from if he messed with that stuff and if so, get it to a tech.

Oh ... really? I was thinking that it was likely more of an electrical issue because of all the lights and tape counter acting wacky. Would the tension rollers affect that kind of stuff?

Try taking off the counter roller. There is a sensor underneath it. Make sure ther is no dust on it.

Oh ... really? I was thinking that it was likely more of an electrical issue because of all the lights and tape counter acting wacky. Would the tension rollers affect that kind of stuff?

Apologies. I've never owned a 388. So I'm only applying the things I've learned from the other machines I have owned and worked on to varying degrees.

j.harv's idea sounds like a good thing to pursue and hopefully that will get you going with your Studio8. ;)

Apologies. I've never owned a 388. So I'm only applying the things I've learned from the other machines I have owned and worked on to varying degrees.

j.harv's idea sounds like a good thing to pursue and hopefully that will get you going with your Studio8. ;)

No need to apologize. I'm happy to take any and every bit of advice I can get to help get it back on its feet!

First off not knowing anything else, if it was me I'd clean everything
its been sitting a looooong time. Lots of contacts, connectors ect. could be dusty dirty and or corroded.

Oh, and asking your buddy if he messed with anything is a good idea.

If all the correct voltages have been verified,the fact that the display is flaky points to a problem with the Control PCB assy. which is under the transport switches.Either the processor is not booting and loading the OS or something has failed on either the data buss or control buss.

Update: I'm an idiot! :)

But I'm a happy one at least. :)

If all the correct voltages have been verified ...

Funny you should mention that!

So this 388 was originally purchased in Germany, and so it has a two prong European cord and runs on 220 volts. When my friend bought it (for $200 back in the mid 90s), it came with a transformer for use here. The transformer has two outlets for the two prong cord : one for 110 and one for 220 volts. I think some of you may see where this is going.

Well I'd never used anything like that before, so I'll cut myself a tiny bit of slack, but I looked at that and thought, "oh .... well, we use 110 volts in this country," and I plugged the 388 cord into that outlet on the transformer.

It was today that it finally dawned on me what the issue may be. Once I plugged into the 220 outlet, it started right up and purred like a kitten! And it's working great now.

It wasn't a total waste of time because I did have to replace the bad capstan belt, and I cleaned a few connections, etc., but yeah... There was a much larger issue, and it was called "next time, don't be an idiot!"

Up next is bending the chassis back as well as I can and some custom side panels to make it look nice again. And then the biggest problem I'll have is where to put the Fostex 80 and Yamaha mixer if the 388 does indeed become top dog around here! But that's a nice problem to have. :)

I was on the edge of my seat!!!

I really hate IC logic issues and your maladies were indicating that was the issue...PHEW!! Yes that logic does some weird stuff when underpowered. I echo RFR's comment...all is well! :D

I have an old one sitting here, you've given me hope. I'll have to take another look at my old best buddy over the holidays! Unfortunately my old masters are shedding like crazy and the tape heads clog up fast. New tape, starting over will probably work and I'll just have to let the twenty year old tapes go. Where and what should I buy to use with the 388? Hope lives!

TKeefe | Terry Keefe | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Back