Tascam 388 For Sale

uzizit said:
I am over the moon to announce that Daniel and I have just struck a deal on this beauty.. it will be staying in British Columbia and it has found a loving home where it will be enjoyed and well looked after... :D :D :cool:

Although not 100% finalized, I'm holding the 388 for this Gentleman. After speaking to Arthur on the phone, I'm certain the TASCAM is going to a great home.

~Daniel :)

A Reel Person said:
I believe Daniel said he's moving to the UK. After all,... "moving overseas" (from BC, Canada) would denote somewhere other than the US,... 'cause last time I checked, the US and Canada were a connected land mass.;)

Yeah,... I don't know much about his personal business,... but I believe he said "overseas" and mentioned the UK,... or maybe Scotland. Is Scotland still part of the UK?

;)

Shhh, Dave ... it's still a big secret ... :eek:

technoplayer said:
Yikes, that hurts! If I had to make a major move, I'd hope to take my 388 and shed a lot of other gear and possessions. Unless of course its a matter of space where you are going. Still, a 388 takes up a lot less room than all of the separate gear it takes to do the same thing. I'm not trying to convice you to keep it, but since you wanted one so bad and got a nice one, it would sure be a shame to let it go. (did you know you can hang a 388 vertical on a wall??? Its ART!! )
Good luck in whatever decision you make.....

I feel your words but powering up gear designed for 60hz in a 50hz country increases heat on the power supply, possibly leading to earlier problems than usual. It's not worth putting in hundreds to crate and send it and then take the risk of putting the 388 at potential risk over the frequency issue.

~Daniel :(

cjacek said:
I feel your words but powering up gear designed for 60hz in a 50hz country increases heat on the power supply, possibly leading to earlier problems than usual. It's not worth putting in hundreds to crate and send it and then take the risk of putting the 388 at potential risk over the frequency issue.
Aw, come on - forget the UK, come to NZ and I'll build you a new power supply that can cope fine with our 230V/50Hz ;)

Quote.....powering up gear designed for 60hz in a 50hz country increases heat on the power supply, possibly leading to earlier problems than usual. It's not worth putting in hundreds to crate and send it and then take the risk of putting the 388 at potential risk over the frequency issue.

In the 388 manual it looks like some 388's (not US or canada units purportedly) have an internal selector for voltage changes. Any hope your unit has this??
I don't know about the frequency issue. I know a lot of gear has a 50-60hz tolerance range..(it all gets converted to DC anyway....) so maybe....

Sorry, just trying to help you hold on the the beast

Thanks arjoll, technoplayer and Mark7 for your words and concern but seems this issue has "resolved" itself in the most unexpected and rather troubling way. I've already emailed the interested buyer and explained to him that I needed to transfer a tape from the 388 to pc. Well, I later mailed him again that midway through, the transport quit on me. I stongly suspected a fuse 'cause I recall that it's a common prob on these old beasts. Well, the fuses look ok but I don't, yet, have an ohm meter to test further. I do have someone coming in to test this, free of charge, and will get back to you. Needless to say I felt terrible that this had happened and timing couldn't be worse. Anyway, when I know more, I'll post it here.

Sorry Arthur. :(

~Daniel

Well, the tech checked out the fuses and that was the problem. All works good now. The guy told me, after running some basic tests on the recorder, that the the 388 "drifted" quite a bit out of alignment, bias, levels, azimuth etc .. so it may need to be serviced in that way. I'll now have to think about what my next step should be ... :confused:

Shit ..... :eek:

Only service it if you're going to keep it.

Any similar equipment would need a calibration, after so many years.;)

cjacek said:
Well, the tech checked out the fuses and that was the problem. All works good now. The guy told me, after running some basic tests on the recorder, that the the 388 "drifted" quite a bit out of alignment, bias, levels, azimuth etc .. so it may need to be serviced in that way. I'll now have to think about what my next step should be ... :confused:

Shit ..... :eek:

Waits with bated breath... :cool:

A Reel Person said:
Any similar equipment would need a calibration, after so many years.;)

Very true but I'm surprised how much the 388 drifted vs my much older 3440. The 388 recorded levels are 3db higher than source signal and there is a significant "low end" bump. :confused:

Back