Tascam 388 reverb question

Supro

Hi everyone, one question, just trying to figure out if with one crappy guitar reverb pedal ( I attach a cable from the eff snd of the 388 to the input 1 of the reverb unit,and a cable from the output of the reverb to the eff return of the 388) and in this case I have reverb just on track 1, but if I want to use it for all the tracks from 1 - 8 would be possible?
Thanks for help

I assume you have turned up the effect send pot for all the tracks that you want reverb on?

If you have the reverb pedal connected in the FX send the way you've described, then yes, you should be able to apply the reverb to all the tracks.

If it's a stereo reverb pedal, and you want the reverb to sound stereo in your mix, then you'll need to run two cables from the output of the pedal into EFFECT RTN 1 and 2 on the 388.

Then, just make sure you have the blue (EFF) knobs turned up on all the tracks you want to apply the verb to, and make sure you have the blue EFF MASTER knob (above the red stereo master fader) turned up, and you should hear it.

Thank you so much for the precious informations, at the moment I’m not home, tmrrw as soon as I get home I will let you know, hope it works fine!

Yes that’s what I did, below at the right end of the unit ( STEREO-AUX-EFFECT 3 switches) while recording I’m always with the stereo switch pressed down. With the pedal reverb switched on I can hear the sound of reverb just on channel 1 and I can adjust the reverb intensity / time only and directly from the pedal knobs, but if I turn the blue knobs on the 388 I can’t hear anything.

But if I switch from STEREO to EFFECT, the one above at right top panel of the Tascam unit), when I turn the blue effect knobs of each channel up & down I can hear the volume of each channel increasing and decreasing, but the reverb effect is not audible on the other channels again.

Now, the reverb pedal has 2 input and 2 output, according with what you said FAMOUS EAGLE, I don’t understand if I have to run a cable Y from the output 1 of my reverb pedal into EFFECT RTN channel 1 & 2 of 388 or If I have to run a cable from the output 1 of the reverb pedal into EFFECT RTN channel 1 and a cable from the output 2 of reverb pedal into EFFECT RTN channel 2 of the 388?

Yes its a stereo reverb and connectors are mono.

Thanks a lot guys for your help!

Ok, first off, this setup isn't really meant to add reverb while you're recording. It's more meant to add reverb to tracks while you're playing back. It's not that you can't add it while you're recording (which is "printing" the effect to tape), but the benefit of the 388's FX loop is that it allows you to constantly adjust each track's amount of reverb after the fact.

So ... I don't know how many tracks you have, but here's an example. Let's say you have Guitar (TRK 1), Bass (TRK 2), Keys (TRK 3), and Vocals (TRK 4), and they've all already been recorded.

Run a cable from the EFFECT OUT jack (1/4" jack) on the 388 to the left or mono input on your reverb pedal. (There's no need to use both inputs on the reverb pedal, so no need for a Y cable.)
Run cables from both outputs of the reverb pedal to EFFECT RTN 1 and 2 on the 388. (so use two cables: out 1 to return 1, and out 2 to return 2)
On the reverb pedal, set the controls so that it will produce plenty of reverb.
On the 388, there are four blue EFFECT RTN knobs to the left of the 8 REC FUNCTION lights. Turn the two GAIN knobs to around 12:00 to start, and pan 1 and 2 hard left and hard right, respectively.
Turn the blue EFF knob in the MASTER section (right below the REC FUNCTION lights) to about 12:00 to start.
Press the STEREO button just above the MONITOR/PHONES knob.
Plug headphones in and set the MONITOR/PHONES knob to a moderate level (3 or 4) to start.
Push up the track faders for tracks 1-4 to around 7, push the L R ASSIGN button, and move the switch at the top of the channel strip to RMX
Start playing back the track, and make sure you can hear signal from each track.
Now, as you turn up the blue EFF knob for each track (just above the ASSIGN switches), you should start hearing reverb applied to each instrument.

Please try that and let me know how it goes.

Ok, first off, this setup isn't really meant to add reverb while you're recording. It's more meant to add reverb to tracks while you're playing back. It's not that you can't add it while you're recording (which is "printing" the effect to tape), but the benefit of the 388's FX loop is that it allows you to constantly adjust each track's amount of reverb after the fact.

So ... I don't know how many tracks you have, but here's an example. Let's say you have Guitar (TRK 1), Bass (TRK 2), Keys (TRK 3), and Vocals (TRK 4), and they've all already been recorded.

Run a cable from the EFFECT OUT jack (1/4" jack) on the 388 to the left or mono input on your reverb pedal. (There's no need to use both inputs on the reverb pedal, so no need for a Y cable.)
Run cables from both outputs of the reverb pedal to EFFECT RTN 1 and 2 on the 388. (so use two cables: out 1 to return 1, and out 2 to return 2)
On the reverb pedal, set the controls so that it will produce plenty of reverb.
On the 388, there are four blue EFFECT RTN knobs to the left of the 8 REC FUNCTION lights. Turn the two GAIN knobs to around 12:00 to start, and pan 1 and 2 hard left and hard right, respectively.
Turn the blue EFF knob in the MASTER section (right below the REC FUNCTION lights) to about 12:00 to start.
Press the STEREO button just above the MONITOR/PHONES knob.
Plug headphones in and set the MONITOR/PHONES knob to a moderate level (3 or 4) to start.
Push up the track faders for tracks 1-4 to around 7, push the L R ASSIGN button, and move the switch at the top of the channel strip to RMX
Start playing back the track, and make sure you can hear signal from each track.
Now, as you turn up the blue EFF knob for each track (just above the ASSIGN switches), you should start hearing reverb applied to each instrument.

Please try that and let me know how it goes.

Trying now this morning and It works greatly!
More than reverb now I can hear how the tracks recorded lose a lot of character when reverb is on, probably because of the crappy digital reverb pedal. :S
Thank you so so much Famous Beagle for your advices!

Trying now this morning and It works greatly!
More than reverb now I can hear how the tracks recorded lose a lot of character when reverb is on, probably because of the crappy digital reverb pedal. :S
Thank you so so much Famous Beagle for your advices!

Great! Glad to hear it's working. Before you give up on your reverb pedal altogether, you may try tweaking the controls a bit to see if you can get it sounding nicer. Also keep in mind that adding reverb to bass-dominant sources like a bass guitar, kick drum, etc. will usually just end up muddying a mix.

At any rate, at least now you know how to add effects to all the tracks via the send.

Sorry for getting back to you so late. Yes sure I’ve been tweaking quite a lot in these days and I found the reverb really interesting especially on sources like voices, Indian sitar, acoustic guitars...and yes now I know how to add effects via send on the 388!
Thank you so much my friend Beagle!
Kind regards from Rome

Back