Tascam 388 - Restoration Questions

minminmusic

Three questions for the community:

1) Anyone know where to get replacement screws and plastic washers for the side wood panels? If not originals...any substitutes that will work?

2) For those that replaced the vinyl wrist wraps...any glue recommendations?

3) If I was trying to seek down replacement touch up paint for the main brownish metal...any way to sort that out?

Thanks for all your support!!!

Greetings!

1. The M-50, M-500 series (M-512 and M-520), M-300 series (M-308, M-312 and M-320), M-200 series (M-208, M-216 and M-224), and M-106 consoles used the same screws and washers, so looking on eBay or whatever for listings involving those units being parted out is a good place to start...even if you don't see those specific parts listed messaging the seller asking if they have them is often a valuable effort to make. There might be other models that use them, but I'm not sure which ones if any. Otherwise you can purchase nylon "finishing" washers...search Google...and go to a hardware store and purchase metric machine screws of the same size (don' t know the thread pitch and diameter off the top of my head). They won't look identical but will get the job done and look alright. How many do you need?

2. I used 3M "77" spray adhesive, and, after applying to both surfaces and placing the vinyl, wrapped the assembly with Glad Cling Wrap and leaving it sit for a couple days. You could always roll on any garden variety rubber contact cement as well...I think I did that in another case but did the same wrap with the Cling Wrap.

3. I had a meter bridge (off of my early 80s Tascam prototype console) that was pretty scratched up so I took it to an auto body shop and had them match and respray it. They gave me the leftover paint for touch-ups...same brown as a number of Tascam models and I used that for awhile but it went bad years ago. If you want it to match I'm not sure what else you can do. There's no paint code or anything. You could buy several rattle cans in brown and spray in to cups to see if something is close or do your own mixing to see if you can get a close match...?

Back