Tascam 388 questions

I'm a junkie. I have two 388's. (Had 3, but was getting space limited)
Its just so cool being able to do eveything from one spot without having to repatch or anything.
And doncha just dig all those analog VU meters!!!
Wish it wasnt so damned heavy, but wouldnt trade the build qulity of this unit for one of those cheap portastudios. Tascam got it right with the 388

Hot. I just scored one for what seems to be a stupid cheap price. The claim is that it's in completely functional condition. I'm used to using semi ok Presonus pre's and Pro Tools, so I'm most anxious to see just how much I can tell the difference.

icurays1 said:
Also, is it bad for it to rewind with the tape not lifted off the head?

Nick
I couldnt think of a worse problem. I knew someone with an 80-8 who had this happen and it turned out to be a solenoid issue.

I thought my tape lifters weren't working properly on my 1977 80-8, until I viewed it at a more proper angle and realized the tape wasn't really touching the play heads at all.

If this really is happening in your 388, I would be very scared. But thats just me. I panic when analog is concerned. It is a very delicate thing. Few people understand the true art of analog, and like you, I'm just a newbie die-hard fan into analog gear (especially if it's 70`s). But really, check this out. If this is the case then your heads are going to wear down very quickly and become useless.

I have 4 388's, so I think I win!

peopleperson said:
Hot. I just scored one for what seems to be a stupid cheap price. The claim is that it's in completely functional condition. I'm used to using semi ok Presonus pre's and Pro Tools, so I'm most anxious to see just how much I can tell the difference.
You will be very happy. ;)

Yeah, it's mine. I can't wait to get it. The seller has the foot pedal as well. Paid $300. I can't wait to be completely in that domain with outboard stuff instead of plug ins. I've got an incredible sounding tube Akai reel that I can't wait to try mixing down to.

I have a massive analog gear bonor.

I know, and good. I learned most of what I know about recording on 8 track cassette so it'll be so much fun to get back to that. Except I have better gear and more knowledge now.

Looking for transformer for 388

Herm said:
I have two also, I had 3 but one is a parts unit now. :(
Great machine!

I'm looking for a transformer for the 388 part number 5320036500. If you have one would you please e-mail me a price for it (unless you mean the parts are jsut for your other units) if you dare sell it.

Thanks, ThomE

peopleperson said:
I too am on the verge of being a 388 guy. I love my Pro Tools but I can't resist getting this 388 I'm looking at for a number of reasons.

General opinions anyone? How many 388 users here love their machine and how many don't?

The 388 is a great machine. The only reason I "switched up" to an MSR-16 is I'm recording a whole band and the extra tracks really come in handy. But if I were recording just myself with a drum machine or something, 8 tracks would be plenty.

One neat trick I did with my 388 was record band practices. But rather than record on all 8 tracks at once, I just had the whole practice mixed to stereo to only 2 tracks. Then, for another practice, I could just use another 2 tracks. That way, I could record four 40 minute practices on a single tape, at a much greater fidelity than a cassette tape.

-MD

Back