Tascam 388 "Play" issue

analog aaron

Swami King of Poppers
Hey guys, I've had my 388 for about a year now. I haven't used it very much and the last time I used it was about a month ago. It worked flawlessly. I tried using it the other day and I had the following problem. I'd press play and it would engage for about 2-3 seconds, then it would stop by itself. I've heard of this before. I've also heard people talking about replacing the fuses (because I read some of the previous 388 trouble threads). Well, I did replace the fuses but it didn't solve my problem. Does anyone know what else this could be? It's not the pinch roller, because it's new. I'm a little bummed because I had planned to record some new demos on it. Even if it's some kind of electrical issue, I feel confident enough in my abilities to go in an try to resolve it. Thanks a million,
Aaron

Does the capstan shaft spin when you lift the right tension arm all the way up? If not, place you ear close to the area and listen for the motor sound. Do you hear it working? If yes, proceed to open the bottom and check the capstan belt. It's probably loose or completely off. You need to get a new one. IF, on the other hand, the capstan shaft does spin, the belt is probably loose enough so that it can't properly pull the weight of the tape and needs to be changed. When you lift up that right tension arm, does the capstan shaft get to speed immediately or is there a struggle, like snail's pace? In any event, you need to check the belt. It's most likely the issue. If it wasn't changed in a decade or more, it's long overdue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I wish the belt were the problem. No, Actually I replaced the belt about 6 months ago with a brand new one. The tape plays right up to speed the second you push the button, but it just stops after a couple of seconds.

Watch theright tension arm when you hit PLAY...does is drop down? If the tensions aren't right and the takeup reel is leaving too much slack, or if you've got a brake dragging or something there will be too much slack on the takeup side and the slack will allow the right tension arm do drop low enough to trigger the STOP sensor.

Back