Tascam 388 Need Help!!

aschill75

I have a problem will my 388...after playing for less then 1 sec it stops almost like it jams.(but it's not jamed)

Rew fwr play rec it does the same thing. Has anybody had this problem or have any suggestions as to what my cause this before I haul the 80 pound machine to a tech.

I thinking may be the belt but I really have no idea......help please

aschill75 said:
I have a problem will my 388...after playing for less then 1 sec it stops almost like it jams.(but it's not jamed)

Rew fwr play rec it does the same thing. Has anybody had this problem or have any suggestions as to what my cause this before I haul the 80 pound machine to a tech.

I thinking may be the belt but I really have no idea......help please

First: is the ENTIRE tape path sparkling clean, including heads, tape lifters, guides etc .. ? What is the condition of the rubber pinch rollers ? Inspect those first and let us know.

Then ........ check the belt.

Also ensure that the tape is threaded properly, for if it isn't the tape won't move.

Next is to ensure you are using healthy, fresh tape stock. Older tape that is suffering from sticky shed will make the transport grind to a halt because there is too much tension from the tape sticking to itself and the transport will stop to protect itself and the tape from being stretched or broken.

If all else is fine it could be the belt, though that would only account for the play or record not working. If it won't fast wind then there might be a blown voltage regulation transistor on the motor logic board that a technician will need to find and replace.

Good luck.

Cheers! :)

With power removed, remove the top cover and check the fuses.

A 388 with a bad belt would still FF and RW, so I'd look at a common cause, like blown fuses or missing voltages.

Anyway, if you lift the RH tension arm, the capstan should spin CCW, or if it doesn't might still indicate a bad belt.

Check those basics, as well as tape threading issues.

;)

thanks for the advice...I have checked and cleaned the belt cleaned the tap path and opened a new reel i bought last year but still the same problem.
.....You are right when i lift the RH tension arm and the motor starts it does spin ( it is a tension issue or maybe a fuse issue that you mentioned) I wil check the fuses next

I have lokked at the fuses but I am unsure what a blow fuse looks like. 3 of them look good but 2 of look like a half melted coi but still a wire running from end to end I am guessing that is blow but again i am not certain. Also should there be any special care taking them out so i don't shock myself.

A Reel Person said:
A 388 with a bad belt would still FF and RW, so I'd look at a common cause, like blown fuses or missing voltages.

Anyway, if you lift the RH tension arm, the capstan should spin CCW, or if it doesn't might still indicate a bad belt.

Check those basics, as well as tape threading issues.

;)

Visual only inspection of fuses is not a good plan.

The only conclusive way to test a fuse is to remove it from the circuit, with the power off and test it with an ohm meter for continuity. There shouldn't be any serious danger of electrocution if the power is off and the unit unplugged from the wall.

Back