Tascam 388 head going?

MagnumPI

Hello All,
I've been working with a nice Tascam 388 recording away until today I found that when I record something on track 1 and 3 there are BIG volume/clarity dips (all other tracks record fine-including track 2). I remember this happening before on track 1 sometimes but I use that for clicks mostly so was thinking it was a cable. Now its happening to a much greater degree. I'm wondering if this sounds like the record head is cracked or dying? It looks okay to the naked eye (see photos). Any ideas?
Thanks. M.1.png2.png

That head looks fine to me. Remember, tracks 1&3 share the same rec/play amp card. Maybe try swapping the 1&3 card with the 2&4 card that is in front of it in the card bay. Then try recording something.Could have something to do with the card.

I agree swapping the 1&3 card with the 2&4 as an early troubleshooting step. Keep us posted!

Thanks guys. I've never opened this thing up and admittedly don't have much experience fixing machines. I worked on my Tascam 244 a bit and some computers etc. but never got really heavy. Is switching those cards a difficult procedure? Any tips on the best way to do it?
Thanks.
p.s. everything plays back fine on those tracks (with all other songs). Just crazy volume dips when recording the new song. I did just recently move into another room. I wonder if the move hurt something.

Hey were you able to get the cards out okay for the swap? If you haven't done it yet I can give you some advice that might make it easier and safer.

Hi sweetbeats, I didn't get the cards out yet. j.harv mentioned to be very careful when pulling them out. First thing I need is some detailed directions about going in there, what to avoid, what I'm looking for, etc. Ive never opened one of these up so really have no idea how to proceed. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

If you are planning on keeping the 388,now would be a good time to get the R/P head re-lapped.To get the best performance after re-lapping,a complete mechanical and electrical recalibration should be performed.The pictures show a groove the width of the tape worn in the head with a "lip" showing .This can cause the tape to "skew" up and down with the edge curling up and riding on the "lip",pulling the tape away from the head at the top and/or bottom. Low/no tape contact=low/no record.Then compound that by recording then playing back.JRF Magnetics N.J., AMP Services W Palm Beach Fl. are two of the reputable re-lapping guys.Just a heads up on what you are looking at for future maintenance.To your problem:could be associated with the 1/3 R/P card. Swap 1/3 with 2/4. That will tell you if its the card,or somwhere else in the 388 wiring/PCB assy.The cards can be in there tight-and make sure all the pins are lined up before you seat the card all the way.

Thanks wkrbee. I had my last 388 relapped, not sure if I want to hold onto this one though those months of repair like last time. But thanks for the heads up. Its good to know what might be coming down the line. I was also wondering if an R/P card is bad would that be an indication that other might also be going soon?
Thanks.

Success! I switched the rec/play amp card and all tracks are working perfectly again. Thanks VERY much j.harv and sweetbeats. You guys were spot on!
I used some string to get into those little tabs, and with some slow but steady pulling and rocking back and forth the card came right out. We carefully switched them and slid them back in and everything is recording perfectly again.
And the best part was that is was really fun. Now I see why you guys are so into fixing gear. Here are some pictures.
Thanks again.
10.png11.png12.png13.png14.png

Last edited:
Yea. Everything seems to be working well now. While the 1+3 card was out we did notice this little burn area. Anything I should be worried about?6.jpg

Fantastic!

Good Work! :guitar:

If everything is working I'd say "no" to worrying about that scorched area, but if you have a hankerin' to pull the card again I'd love to see a pic of the other side. I'm curious what components are there and curious to see which connector number that is. It may be related to the problem that now seems resolved and it might be good preventative maintenance to reflow those solder joints.

Actually I took this picture while the card was out. Everything is working at the moment so I don't want to chance taking it out again but if problems start again I'll pop it out and check which connector it is. (I should have done it this time:cool:)

Hrm...looking again...Maybe so. I was looking at those two solder blobs above the connector lands...they looked like they were heat tarnished, and not from the welding process.

I agree with the OP to leave as-is since it is working.

Thanks for weighing in, wkrbee.

I hope it is just a overheated flux. If problems pop up Ill chime back in and pull the card but for now just happy to be recording again. Thanks guys.

Help please.

I’m having dropout issues on channel 1 as well. They started happening several years ago and at the time I did a thorough cleaning of everything in the tape path and it seemed to help some, but not completely. I had to set it aside for a couple years and recently got all my gear set back up and, no surprise, the issue is still there.

I tried the channel rec/play card swap mentioned above and it made no difference, so the issue does not lie in the card. Check out this video of a test tone playing back... Tracks 2-8 all look golden. Track one is a mess!

YouTube

I sure hope someone is still following this thread!

Ah crap. I just took a video of my heads and then felt the one on the right with my fingernail and there’s certainly a lip at the top. Time for a relap I guess...?

Anyone know a tech in the Midwest who works on these? I live in Des Moines, IA, so Omaha, Minneapolis, Kansas City are all very reasonable options.

Back