Tascam 388 to CD?

classicrockman7

What is the best way to get my recording off of a tascam 388 to a CD? i know there are numerous ways, but if i where to spend money and do it right, how should i do it? thanks

Get an RCA-to-1/8" stereo Y-cable adapter, and...

plug from your 388's Stereo Line Outs to your standard soundcard's Line In.

Develop your tracks and mix on the 388, cable up, configure your 'puter inputs and recording software, and dub from the 388 to the 'puter, in 16-bit/44.1kHz/Stereo Wav file format. Using cd-authoring software, lay Wav files out in sequences to burn to cd.

I used to just go from the 388 outs to the ins of a stand alone burner and record in real time.

I think if you are going to buy something then you would do well to upgrade your (i assume stock) computer soundcard to something like an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 which you can get for under $100 now. This will give you the flexibility of being able to use your computer for mixdown (and you'd be able to take advantage of editing software), and as part of the creative process. The analog to digital converters in the 24/96 are a big upgrade in clarity and noise from the average integrated soundcard.

--doris

doris said:
The analog to digital converters in the 24/96 are a big upgrade in clarity and noise from the average integrated soundcard.

Yes but a CD is only 16/44 .. so what's the point of the above ? The costs simply outweigh any significant benefits of getting such an "upgrade".

Bottom line is if you can get your signal, from the 388 to the PC, with no perceptible quality loss then it doesn't really matter what type of computer hardware you've got.

~Daniel

cjacek said:
Yes but a CD is only 16/44 .. so what's the point of the above ? The costs simply outweigh any significant benefits of getting such an "upgrade".

Bottom line is if you can get your signal, from the 388 to the PC, with no perceptible quality loss then it doesn't really matter what type of computer hardware you've got.

~Daniel

Hey. The 24/96 is just the name of the card. And yes it can operate at 24 bits 96 khz, but that wasn't my point. Set up for 16/44.1 you would still get a cleaner, clearer signal with a decent quality soundcard compared to what comes stock in most consumer computers. My point really was that if it were me and I was considering shelling out cash for a dedicated cd burner then I would rather spend the money (and much less of it) on a soundcard, which would benefit me in more than just mixdown. As far as fidelity, I doubt you'd notice much of a difference between something like the Tascam cd recorder vs the Audiophile, but either would be "perceptibly" better than going through the stock soundcard. However, the stock soundcard would definitely get you there. It just boils down to what you are going for. For me, the difference in quality is worth the $79 or whatever they cost. For others, maybe not. And that's ok, too.

--doris

doris said:
Hey. The 24/96 is just the name of the card. And yes it can operate at 24 bits 96 khz, but that wasn't my point. Set up for 16/44.1 you would still get a cleaner, clearer signal with a decent quality soundcard compared to what comes stock in most consumer computers. My point really was that if it were me and I was considering shelling out cash for a dedicated cd burner then I would rather spend the money (and much less of it) on a soundcard, which would benefit me in more than just mixdown. As far as fidelity, I doubt you'd notice much of a difference between something like the Tascam cd recorder vs the Audiophile, but either would be "perceptibly" better than going through the stock soundcard. However, the stock soundcard would definitely get you there. It just boils down to what you are going for. For me, the difference in quality is worth the $79 or whatever they cost. For others, maybe not. And that's ok, too.

--doris

Ok, fair enough. Good point. ;)

~Daniel

cjacek said:
I'd have to disagree with this, most onboad sound cards are pretty nasty in terms of s/n on both record and playback. Even putting in a Soundblaster Audigy or similar consumer sound card will yeild a far better sound than your on-board interface.

I agree on the 24/96 card. Its a good value. I use the m audio 44 and it does a good job and havnt had one problem with it.

With all of these 388,s on here we should really do a group recording. Pass a tape around. Or everyone do a song and send it to one of us all mixed and we could have our own little tascam 388 cd.

Attachments

• m.JPG
    m.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 55
Herm said:
With all of these 388,s on here we should really do a group recording. Pass a tape around. Or everyone do a song and send it to one of us all mixed and we could have our own little tascam 388 cd.

I still think that's a great idea!...

(despite the last reel project I handled!)

Anyway, 1/4" is cool. You could even pass a 5"/600' reel, and it would be plenty for a song or two! Shipping a smaller item is always easier, but just the same, the 1/2" reel project was a phenomenal idea, too.;)

Thanx!!!

And I just happen to have some empty 5 inch reels here and plenty of tape to fill one. Im ready.

Herm said:

Either scenario sounds like fun...I would definitely contribute.

Back