Tascam 388 audio issues

familyjazz

Hey guys,

I've owned my tascam 388 for a couple years not (bought in okay condition). The issue I'm experiencing has been getting progressively worse over the time that I've had it, and although I've found work arounds, I think I would enjoy it a lot more if I was finally able to fix it.

The issue is that the audio (playback, monitoring and everything) cuts in and out. Every time I turn the machine on, there is absolutely no audio until it warms up (~15 minutes), despite the individual track VU meters showing the track playbacks at a normal level. When it is not working the Master L and R VU meters are not moving and sit in their resting position. Once the machine warms up and the audio is playing through either my monitors or headphones the Master VU meters do show the audio levels as they should.

In my frustration i've realized that I can hit the side of the machine and the audio will engage sometimes for a while sometimes very briefly. Also when the audio cuts out it's not always very sudden. Sometimes the volume slowly drops and the sound begins to sizzle and pop before dropping out completely. It also sounds like this when it is warming up.

I've tried opening the machine up, both the bottom panel and the top little panel, looking for loose connections or anything suspicious but haven't had any luck and am feeling defeated. I've search this forum and others quite a few times hoping to find someone with a similar problem and a solution but haven't had any luck.

Any insight would be much appreciated! thank you.

First thing I'd try is to re-seat the cards. I would also fish around to see if there are any bad capacitors.

I've seen that said a few times and am not quite sure what that entails. Could you fill me in?

Take the card bay cover off. That's the cover above the vu meters. Inside are all your rec/playback amp cards.
These are the ones at the far left at the back. 2 each on either side. Carefully, and I mean CAREFULLY remove them by gently pulling up on them. Grab em' by the corners. You might have to gently rock side to side alittle as they can be stuck in there real good.
When you get them out, now would be a good time to give the board at the bottom a good blow with canned air if you have it. Look over the cards for any leaking or swollen capacitors
Then carefully put the cards back in using a flashlight so you can see the connectors. Make sure they mate up properly. You don't want to bend any of the pins.
Do this while the 388 is unplugged.

Turn her back on, run some tests and see what happens.

Only do this if you feel comfortable doing it. You don't want to damge the cards or connectors!

I would focus on re-seating the power supply card. That's the on the far right if the cardbay IIRC. If that doesn't fix it but you find you can apply pressure to the card...gently manipulate it...and get the audio to cut in and cut out, then I would reflow the solder joints on all the connector pins on the power supply card, AND on the corresponding joints for the pins in the motherboard.

Back