Tascam 38 Reproduce Head

SteveMac

Is it possible to still get a Tascam 38 reproduce/record head? Listening back to an acoustic guitar recording I was doing I heard some slight warbling. I took a close look at the heads and I notice that one looks like it's mint and the other has what looks like scruffs on it. I've been looking for a place to take it to get checked out in MA and I'm still having a hard time finding anything.

Yeah they still have them in stock. The record and play heads are the same part number, 5378300400. The thing is they cost as much if not more than a whole used 38.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by warbling or scuffing. But what I would picture as scuff marks could be tape shed from sticky tape or some other contamination. A worn head usually develops uneven flat spots. Have you tried cleaning it with alcohol and lots of elbow grease?

Warbling could be tape sliding around on a worn head but it could also be sticky tape, a slipping capstan belt or an “out-of-round” or hardened slipping pinch roller. Could also be the back tension has slipped too low to maintain optimum tape contact with the heads.

Tascam has a list of service centers around the country here:

http://www.tascam.com/service_centers.php

-Tim

Last edited:
SteveMac said:
Is it possible to still get a Tascam 38 reproduce/record head? Listening back to an acoustic guitar recording I was doing I heard some slight warbling. I took a close look at the heads and I notice that one looks like it's mint and the other has what looks like scruffs on it. I've been looking for a place to take it to get checked out in MA and I'm still having a hard time finding anything.

I wonder why only one of the heads has "scruffs" and the others not .. :confused: Are you sure it's not really heavy type oxide or other dirt that is the problem ? Did you try cleaning with 99% alcohol and q-tips or cotton gauze ? It would really help if you'd post a really nice and clear photo of the "problem head". If you're sure the head is unevenly worn, for whatever reason, I'd send it over to http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/ . They can in most cases relap it for a fraction of what TASCAM would charge for a new head or whole head-block. I think though, that TASCAM has these in stock but would cost ya more than just getting another 38 of off eBay. Btw, there are some 38 heads (and headblocks) floating around eBay for quite cheap. Keep checking and they'll pop up again.

~Daniel

Yeah, just like Tim said .. it could be somethin' else than actual head damage. Again, can you please post a pict here ? Also, it would be wise indeed for the original poster to visit a legitimate TASCAM service center.

~Daniel

thanks guys,

I tried taking a picture of it last night but I couldn't get a good non- blurry shot of it. I might have to take it down from where it is to get a good shot of it. I'd like to get a good picture up here so you guys could see it.

by warbling I mean like regular tape warble you might hear on a cassette or something only it was very slight and just in a few places on one track not across the board. It could have been phasing on the acoustic guitar because it was in a fixed location.

by "scuff marks" I mean "the lines" on the good head are clear cut lines while "the lines" on the other one look faded a little with whitish (not black) scuffs on them. I tried scrubbing it with alcohol and q-tip but it didn't change. I think the pinch roller does need to be replaced. It's kind of sticky and leaves alot of black on the capstan.

I definately think it's a good idea to bring it to a qualified repair shop. I just got to find one. Is it easy to take the head off? I could get a better picture of it that way.

Also, are they the same head but the one the left records and the one on the right reproduces? It's the one on the right that has the "scuffs".

SteveMac said:
thanks guys,

I tried taking a picture of it last night but I couldn't get a good non- blurry shot of it. I might have to take it down from where it is to get a good shot of it. I'd like to get a good picture up here so you guys could see it.

by warbling I mean like regular tape warble you might hear on a cassette or something only it was very slight and just in a few places on one track not across the board. It could have been phasing on the acoustic guitar because it was in a fixed location.

by "scuff marks" I mean "the lines" on the good head are clear cut lines while "the lines" on the other one look faded a little with whitish (not black) scuffs on them. I tried scrubbing it with alcohol and q-tip but it didn't change. I think the pinch roller does need to be replaced. It's kind of sticky and leaves alot of black on the capstan.

I definately think it's a good idea to bring it to a qualified repair shop. I just got to find one. Is it easy to take the head off? I could get a better picture of it that way.

Also, are they the same head but the one the left records and the one on the right reproduces? It's the one on the right that has the "scuffs".

In most likely hood it's the RUBBER PINCH ROLLER which is the problem here. Also, how old a tape are you using ? Personally, I wouldn't mess around with taking the heads off and anything else until you get the pinch roller issue addressed. Also, if the pinch roller is basically turning into "goo" then most likely the capstan belt is also as bad. These two most likely are causing all the problems you describe. I'm not sure if a rubber treatment would work in this case for the pinch roller. I'd see about getting a replacement for both the pinch roller and drive belt either from TASCAM or here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67814&item=5777648764&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41480&item=7326732531&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Gotta tell you tho, that it would IMMENSELY help if you'd post a relatively large and clear (and close up) photo of the heads and tape path. Do you have a friend that perhaps has a digital camera with "MACRO" that you can borrow ?

~Daniel

cjacek said:
In most likely hood it's the RUBBER PINCH ROLLER which is the problem here. Also, how old a tape are you using ? Personally, I wouldn't mess around with taking the heads off and anything else until you get the pinch roller issue addressed. Also, if the pinch roller is basically turning into "goo" then most likely the capstan belt is also as bad. These two most likely are causing all the problems you describe. I'm not sure if a rubber treatment would work in this case for the pinch roller. I'd see about getting a replacement for both the pinch roller and drive belt either from TASCAM or here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67814&item=5777648764&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41480&item=7326732531&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Gotta tell you tho, that it would IMMENSELY help if you'd post a relatively large and clear (and close up) photo of the heads and tape path. Do you have a friend that perhaps has a digital camera with "MACRO" that you can borrow ?

~Daniel

Thanks for the info Daniel, I'm going to look into your suggestions. I'm also going to check the date on the tape. The reel I'm using is the one that came with it so it's a good possibility it is old. I'm having a hard time getting a good picture of the heads but if I do I'll post it.

I ordered a pinch roller today through Tascam. Turns out they cheaper than what they're trying to get for them on ebay! That one guy wanted 50 bucks and another wants $37 plus $5 shipping. They're only $32 at Tascam plus 4 dollars shipping?? Goes to show you to always check the real price first!

I took my old one off and tried to clean it with fostex rubber cleaner. It made such a mess there was no way I was going to put it back on the machine.

Last edited:
SteveMac said:
I ordered a pinch roller today through Tascam. Turns out they cheaper than what they're trying to get for them on ebay! That one guy wanted 50 bucks and another wants $37 plus $5 shipping. They're only $32 at Tascam plus 4 dollars shipping?? Goes to show you to always check the real price first!

I took my old one off and tried to clean it with fostex rubber cleaner. It made such a mess there was no way I was going to put it back on the machine.

Didn't know TASCAM's was cheaper! Good choice!

Yeah, I guess the rubber roller was too far gone for the rubber treatment ....

Btw, did you order a capstan belt from TASCAM as well ? You should.

~Daniel

cjacek said:
Didn't know TASCAM's was cheaper! Good choice!

Yeah, I guess the rubber roller was too far gone for the rubber treatment ....

Btw, did you order a capstan belt from TASCAM as well ? You should.

~Daniel

Actually I was planning on ordering one from that ebay link. I forgot about it today when I was ordering the pinch roller. I doubt Tascams is any cheaper than $17 but I should probably find out.

BTW, The tape I was using is from 1997. Do you think that could cause a problem? I have a couple of newer reels from this year I haven't used yet.

Last edited:
SteveMac said:
Actually I was planning on ordering one from that ebay link. I forgot about it today when I was ordering the pinch roller. I doubt Tascams is any cheaper than $17 but I should probably find out.

BTW, The tape I was using is from 1997. Do you think that could cause a problem? I have a couple of newer reels from this year I haven't used yet.

Yeah but I suppose TASCAM would combine the shipping charge for both of these items so it may turn out cheaper in the end. Still, it would be nice to have one shipment come at once from TASCAM. If you ordered today then I don't think they shipped it yet. Try calling and re-adjusting the order so that you have the roller and belt sent together and don't pay double for shipping.

If it's 1997 Quantegy then that's fine.

~Daniel

Good call Daniel! I ordered the belt today from Tascam. She waved s/h because I asked her about combining my order from yesterday. The belt was only $13! Guess Ebay ain't SO great ALL the time. Plus it let's them know we're still out here. :)

SteveMac said:
Good call Daniel! I ordered the belt today from Tascam. She waved s/h because I asked her about combining my order from yesterday. The belt was only $13! Guess Ebay ain't SO great ALL the time. Plus it let's them know we're still out here. :)

GREAT! I'm glad things on the TASCAM front worked out! :) Also, I feel that last part alone is worth buying from TASCAM and I feel kinda shitty for recommending the links from before. You're right, it's important to get parts, manuals etc .. from TASCAM 'cause if they know we're out-there, they'll keep support for their Analog stuff much longer and maybe, just maybe reintroduce some of their now "vintage" gear.

~Daniel

Back