Tascam 38 Questions

thecongo

Hey Everyone!
I just bought a tascam 38 and I have a few problems with the deck. Primarily, the signal during playback on 2 channels is really low. I don't know what to do, since I've been using digital for quite a while, and there are more knowledgeable people than me.
Thanks in advance.

It could be the head, it could be the electronics, or it could be simply that somebody has tweaked the outputs withough knowing what the heck they were doing. :)

A couple of simple things you may try:

Cleaning the heads and tape path, with the proper fluids. It doesn't take much dust, oxide, binder, etc. to degrade a signal. If you have already done this, try it again. It's the number one reason for a poor signal.

Demagnetize the heads.

Check the connections on the tracks that are giving you trouble. Try switching cables with a couple of other tracks, to check them. Clean the contacts of all those rca's.

Use new tape. All tape sheds but old tape sheds more. If you got reel or two of old tape with your deck, my advice would be to dump the tape, keep the reel. Even the MRL site talks about binder problems with their test tapes made before the mid 90's.

Turn the machine on 10-15 minutes before taping. That warms it up to normal operating temperature.

Did you get a manual with the deck? Are you using noise reduction?

make notes as you go....

some specific notes- which tracks are affected, given a fixed input signal, what viewmeter readings do you get....

if the tape head cleaning, new tape, external connections don't cure it, it could be the channel cards - there are 8 seperate but identical cards, accessed thru the bottom, each has a relay on it, and some adjustments for bias, etc. sometimes the relays stick or get contact corrosion. Cycle the unit on-off, and record to playback, to exercise the relays. Did any of the channels clear, or get better. Try pulling and swapping around the channel cards and see if the weak / dead channels follow the cards.

I had a similar problem when I first got my 38, alot of exercising the relays cleared it up.

good luck - they are a great and fun machine. Do hope you got a manual - very important, and a lot of good info in there.

b-h

It's strange. I have the recorder in Sync mode. I have the inputs and I can get signal, but when I play back I get no reading on the VU meters. I don't know what else to do, could it be that the cards or loose or something I don't know. Thanks in advance.

You're not giving too much information.

What is your signal chain?

Are you switching to Repro to play back the tape? Or are you using the function select switches in Sync mode?

Do you have a manual?

I am running in sync mode all of the time, but still I get no play back in repro mode still. My signal chain is directly to tape, I am not using noise reduction or anything like that. But I do have a manual. Sorry for the lack of info...

I wish I could help you more. If you have tried all those things and still have the problem, you may have to take it somewhere to be checked.

Try calling Parson's Audio in Wellsley 781-431-8708

Odyssey Pro Sound in Salem 978-744-2001

Professional Audio Design in Rockland 781-982-2600

Or maybe Daddy's Junky Music, sorry don't have a number.

I don't know if they all do that kind of work, but they are all in Massachusetts and I think they would help you find a local place that does, if they don't.

I've bought new stuff from Parson's and used from Daddy's, but never had any repair work done. So I can't recommend a repair place from experience. Maybe I've been lucky, all of my problems with r2r have been minor. Dirt, cables, using the wrong switch, etc.

Good luck, I hope those places can help. Nothing is more frustrating than when something doesn't do what it is supposed to.

Let us know what it finally was when you get it fixed.

I've found a number of reasons why things could've gone wrong. Today, I was able to spend a large amount of time and go over the whole thing with a fine tooth comb. Turns out that the tape was shedding onto the heads leaving some nasty oxide. I cleaned up 90% of it, but I will finish tomorrow. On top of that, a few of the cards in the machine were loose, so I put them back into a secure position. Anyways, I'm waiting for some new virgin 456 to come for me to use. If this doesn't help, I'm bringing it to a tech ASAP. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Tascam 38 No output in Sync mode

Just bought a 38... Vintage 1987 - fixer-upper
seems to be low hours, FF/REW are good.

Main problem - There is normally no output when in Sync mode.

Sometimes it will come on. Affects all channels - All or nothing
Tried the normal stuff - swapping cards, changing head connections...
Not the cards, unless all are bad. Do the motherboards go bad?

Doubt that it's the switch since the relays click when chaning the switch, also the head connections are live, can hear hum if connectors are touched.

If I switch the output selector a back and fiorth a lot it may come on. When it doens't work even repro takes a second to respond and slowly comes up to volume.

Check and/or replace the fuses.

From a quick reading of your post, (above), it seems you've covered most of the basics. It sounds like the voltages may be intermittent. Believe it or not, those old fuses in the Tascams may become intermittent, from old age.

==========
(Original poster's problem): I was gonna say either "sticky shed" of some of the audio cards may have been shaken loose in shipping.

:)

Back