Tascam 38!

cracklin'

Hi all. I have been looking to purchase a reel-to-reel tape machine and have found a Tascam 38 w/ DBX and remote that is definately in my price range. Ideally I would like a 16-track...but they seem to be to expensive for me...and I am getting the machine so that I can start to experiment with tape (I have been a Digital Performer guy up until now). I was born into the digital age, but after one great analog studio experience...I MUST learn how to use tape and understand the world of analog. If anyone has any information/recommendations regarding the 38, it would be helpful. and any suggestions for affordable, yet essential outboard gear (reverb/echo/delay/compression/preamps...) would be awesome. thanks...

Excellent! Welcome to "the obsession".... and a "money-pit" I'm originally an analog guy that now does a hybrid of analog/digital. There are many things out there regarding outboard rack gear (mostly budget dependent).

I guess it would depend on if you want to get multi-effect outboard gear or stuff like plate verbs, tape delays, spring verbs, etc...

Personally, if I knew then what I know now, I'd start with microphones (after the analog format machine purchase), then move on to mic pre's (especially if you're not looking for an all-around decent analog console). Most every thing after that can become incidental (play toys) especially if you know how to make the best with what you have and the source from which is being performed.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here with other ideas for you. I mostly wanted to share your enthusiasm.

Take care,
-- Adam Lazlo

cracklin' said:
If anyone has any information/recommendations regarding the 38, it would be helpful. and any suggestions for affordable, yet essential outboard gear (reverb/echo/delay/compression/preamps...) would be awesome. thanks...

A nice match for your 38 would be the "M" line of mixers from TASCAM, like the M-30, M-35, M-208, M-216, M-308, M-312, M-320, M-512, M-520. The 300 series also comes with a "B" designation which means phantom power on all channels. I personally love the M-30 (for budget and space oriented) but the 300 series are truly wonderful and highly recommended but, along with the M-500 series, can be very heavy and large. Get one which has the features you want. You can rest assured that the preamps are clean and of high quality and so no external ones are needed. Just get the best desk you can. I recommend TASCAM 'cause they're rather plentiful (and inexpensive) on the used market. Also parts and support is still available from TASCAM. For reverb/delay, you should check out the Lexicon LXP line. They're older but sound much better (and cost less) than what Lex has to offer now. Compression you should seriously consider DBX 118/119 and also the RNC. Other than that, maintain your deck's tape path religiously, keeping it always clean. Btw, none of the outboard gear recommended is truly "essential" to get good sound from just the 38, mics and mixer.

Good luck,

Daniel

Last edited:
Yeah, man! Awesome!

I got my 38 in 1983, back when it was really "high tech"!!! I still have it, & it's in good condition too! I've produced many little "schwack-sterpieces" on the 38! 1/2'-8-track is the bomb!

I got the matching M30 mixer with it, too,... waaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1983,...
or was it '82?? I skipped the dbx units,... I'm sure I couldn't afford them at the time,... they were like $400/ea. :eek: ;)

Welcome to the club! It's about time! Only 20-or-more years late!

Heh.;)

Last edited:
thanks...

hey...thanks for the shared enthusiasm. A friend of mine gave me a Mackie CR-1604 mixer for free, so I think I'll be using that and maybe buy a decent mic instead of another board. As far as combining the analog and digital world...any suggestions to get more than 8 tracks and keep it sounding good? I must say I am excited to actually TURN something when mixing (instead of using a mouse).

cracklin' said:
any suggestions to get more than 8 tracks and keep it sounding good? I must say I am excited to actually TURN something when mixing (instead of using a mouse).
One technique you'll want to learn is called "bouncing" or "ping-ponging" tracks. Basically it means taking the audio from two or more tracks and combining them onto another track. This then frees you up to erase the original tracks and make room for more audio.

Mixing in analog is a lot of fun. It's almost like you're playing another instrument! (Gotta mute that synth track during the guitar solo!)

Back