TASCAM 34B is still being made (must read)

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
If anyone is interested in obtaining a NEW, recently manufactured TASCAM 34B then call TEAC CANADA at 1-905-890-8008 and ask for extension # 106 and talk to Monica. I know for a fact that these are not, I repeat NOT NOS (NOT New Old Stock) but brand spankin' new machines, with full warranty manufactured by Teac Japan specifically for TEAC CANADA. These are available for persons in Canada and the USA and possibly overseas. The retail price is the same as originally introduced years ago which, considering how times have changed, is admirable.

Long story short, it was explained to me that: As a result of small but consistent demand for this type of gear, Teac Canada struck a deal with Teac Japan where they would make the 34B in small batches for them. These are recently made, NOT NOS, come with the full warranty and basically are brand spankin' new. That's the good news. The bad news is that Teac Japan wants to stop making these as it has to cease all production of it's other (digital) gear to make special arrangements to make the 34B. News is that they're slowly stopping for good. My take is that if there's more demand and support then that doesn't have to be. If there are more buyers then Teac could make a case for making more and PERHAPS introducing other long discontinued gear!! Anyway, Teac Canada's stock of the 34B's is being held in the USA and people can order these through their Dealers as a "special order" item.

The possible spoiler here is that the 34B cost much more than your usual abused junker on eBay. (In fact the same amount it did when it was originally made which is not bad at all). On the other hand, you'll have a brand new, recently made with full waranty machine that is extremely rare to find now and numbered in the tens. I'm actually putting the money together to buy one. Personally I'd rather pay a lot more for a new one then take my chances with a used machine. Even one which was kept stored and unused for years develops bad problems on its own like rubber disintegration, oxidation, rusting, drying out of the moving parts etc ....

Anyway, I don't want to get into any arguments here. I'm posting info which I hope will be helpful to some of you. It took substantial time and effort to come upon this info so please use it wisely. ;)

Btw, don't make the mistake of asking the morons at TASCAM USA in the parts dept about this. They don't know. Actually they have neither the respect nor clue about Analog. :eek: I have no idea why TEAC Canada hasn't promoted this info more to gain more buyers but I do know that this is legitimate info on the 34B's availability.

Lastly, to those who said it couldn't happen I say I TOLD YOU IT WOULD!!!!! :D :D People requested these, TEAC JAPAN listened and VOILA!! Now, do you think if we all wrote in (snail mail) and supported TEAC JAPAN's humble efforts that we wouldn't benefit ?? Of course we would. :)

I'm here if you need any help or wish to have more answers.

Thanks,

Daniel

Herm said:
So how much do they cost here in the U S ?

$2199.99 was the official US retail on the last price list I had on it from 1991.

With dealer discounts,(actual street pricing, in store), they were selling in Canada for around $2000.00 Canadian dollars.

Cheers! :)

sanders said:
Whats the difference between a 34B and a 42B?? I have a 42B, but this sounds like something I might be interested in...

The major difference is that the 34B is a 4 track, 4 channel machine and the 42B is a 2 channel/2 track deck. The 34B is similar to the design of the famous TEAC 3440 but is a much more recent design that also allows direct mic/line input recording via the 1/4 inch mic inputs and RCA ins and outs. Multitracking (Simul-Sync) is possible with the 34B and a mixer is not neccessary, making it perhaps one of the most popular decks. It is a 3 head, 3 motor, 1/4" tape machine running at 7 1/2 and 15 ips respectively, weighing in at about 50 lbs! I have stated repeatadly how in awe I was at the superior nature of the 34B. IMHO, this machine is worth the price, especially that it was long discontinued only to be reintroduced by way of demand and this "demand" is what's driving TEAC JAPAN to make some of these available again, perhaps for a limited time ??

Pictures to follow.

Attachments

• tn_02.jpg
    tn_02.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 502
  • tn_03.jpg
    tn_03.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 396
  • tn_04.jpg
    tn_04.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 409
  • tn_05.jpg
    tn_05.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 350
  • tn_06.jpg
    tn_06.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
More picts of the 34B!

Attachments

• tn_09.jpg
    tn_09.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 331
  • tn_10.jpg
    tn_10.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 320
  • tn_11.jpg
    tn_11.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 310
  • tn_12.jpg
    tn_12.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 298
  • tn_13.jpg
    tn_13.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 297
Yet even more!!

Attachments

• tn_14.jpg
    tn_14.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 298
  • tn_15.jpg
    tn_15.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 284
  • tn_16.jpg
    tn_16.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 289
  • tn_17.jpg
    tn_17.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 277
  • tn_18.jpg
    tn_18.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 286
Ok, this is getting ridiculous! ;)

Attachments

• tn_19.jpg
    tn_19.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 293
  • tn_20.jpg
    tn_20.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 299
  • tn_25.jpg
    tn_25.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 307
The Ghost of FM said:
$2199.99 was the official US retail on the last price list I had on it from 1991.

With dealer discounts,(actual street pricing, in store), they were selling in Canada for around $2000.00 Canadian dollars.

Cheers! :)

Well, if that's the case then the price I was quoted must have been the MSRP which we all know ain't retail. ;)

Well nothing in it says as to how you actually came about the information. :confused:

Just wondering. Don't act so defensive. There is nothing to hide. Its just that a simple, "The responded to my letter" would have done the trick.

You say, "Long story short, it was explained to me that:..."

But that doesn't say anything about why it was explained to you in the first place.

I am just curious as to how you found this out.

Outlaws said:
If you don't mind me asking, how did you here of this?

Ok, I think I know what you are asking .. Further to my original post, I was desperate to find what gear was still "sitting" around from the "vintage" era in the TEAC warehouse. Well, I though I'd give TEAC JAPAN, actually the site, a visit. It was all in Japan, but I deciphered some info about their discontinued gear and prices they had for those. One of the units was the 34B - stated as "discontinued" on their site. I "felt" I should give them a call and ask if they still have anything "in stock". I actually faxed them. They, in turn, forwarded my letter to TEAC CANADA, who advised me on the 34B's availability. Furthermore, I was given the contact info of a top guy at TEAC CANADA and learned more from him. (More info can be found in my original post.) All of this I came upon as a result of refusing to give up hope that there's a brand new 34B sitting around somewhere, which, if you asked me a month ago, I'd call ridiculous and impossible if you told me TEAC was still building them! WOW!!! :)

Daniel

Back