TASCAM 34B (some questions)

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
A couple of questions on the 34B, if you don't mind:

(1) I know that one can record & overdub straight to the 34B but when mixing down, and perhaps wanting to add some compression or reverb, is it at all possible to use the TASCAM 244 (the mixer section) ? I can see no reason why I can't record straight to the 34B and then take the "outs" of the 34B and go into the 1/4" inputs of the 244 and mixdown from there, adding whatever effect I need, am I right ?

(2) Similarly can I use the TASCAM 246, in place of the m-30 mixer, to do recording with the 34B ? I mean to use the 246 just like you would the m-30 mixer ? Is it possible to use the 246 with the 34b ?

(3) I am aware that using a dbx unit with the 34B would be good but personally I'd wanna keep it as "pure" as I can, so my question is: Is the tape "hiss" loud enough to be bothersome, at 7 1/2" per sec as this would be my preferred speed rather than the max 15 ? Personally, I like a bit of "hiss" as long as it's not debilitating. Will the tape hiss be loud on the lower volume parts of a song or will it be acceptable to not be overwhelming ? Again, hiss is fine if it's not bothersome like the type of hiss you'd get from running a cassette without dolby.

(4) What do I need to properly maintain my 34B, other than q-tips and alcohol after each session ? I'm kinda affraid of degaussing!

(5) What is the best place and best brand of reel to buy from ? Is the take-up reel included with a reel purchase ?

(6) Does the 34B accept smaller 1/4" tape reels as well ?

(7) Is it absolutely necessary to use the 34B prone, as some suggest, or will it do ok just being used upright ?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Last edited:
Sorry for not getting to this one!

So many questions, so little time.;)

Your 244 Portastudio should be able to be used as a make shift mixer for mix-downs from the 34. Either record on the 244 as the master, (bad idea, as this would present a bizarre medium for future use!) or, feed the outputs of the 244 to the mix-down medium of your choice.

About the 246 being used as a replacement of the M30; I guess it could be fashioned to suit this usage but, it might behoove you to check out E-bay for a cheap and cheerful, used M30 or similar board.

Regarding the 34 and not using dbx; It might be acceptable as long as you are recording instruments and mixes that have a fairly constant volume. If there are a lot of quiet passages, the hiss will become somewhat audible to younger listeners who can still hear above 14Khz...Not me:(

The 34 requires a bare minimum of maintenance other then cleaning the tape path and occasionally degaussing the heads. Beyond that, there is only the occasional calibration that should be performed if the levels start drifting noticeably or the azimuth drifts in the head alignment.

The 34 was designed and set to work with Ampex/Quantigy 456 tape or equivalents from other manufacturers like Emtec or Scotch.

As for the best place to buy tape; I don't know. I get mine from Tele-tech in Markham, Ontario. Your millage may vary.

The 34 can work with NAB sized hubs and reels up-to 10.5 in diameter and with the NAB adapters removed, it can be used with 7" , 5" and 3" reels.

About vertical and horizontal placement of the 34; It can be used either way. It is simply a case of user preference as to which way you place it.

Bare in mind that it comes with bottom feet and back feet so don't sweat that one.

I hope that helps a little?

Cheers! :)

Hey Dan...

Do You NEED a take up reel OR will you be able to find one?

IF you need one bad, then where (U.S.?)do you live??

If you need a 10 1/2" empty I have several that are doing me no good and I doubt it would cost me more than like $5.00 to send you one (if you live in the U.S. that is)..., BUT if you can find one or something, then never mind or whatever.

CUBS
:)

Last edited:
BillyFurnett said:
Hey Dan...

Do You NEED a take up reel OR will you be able to find one?

IF you need one bad, then where (U.S.?)do you live??

If you need a 10 1/2" empty I have several that are doing me no good and I doubt it would cost me more than like $5.00 to send you one (if you live in the U.S. that is)..., BUT if you can find one or something, then never mind or whatever.

CUBS

Thanks Billy :) . I'll definitely let you know when/if I need one. Thanks again.

Daniel

The Ghost of FM said:
Sorry for not getting to this one!

So many questions, so little time.;)

Your 244 Portastudio should be able to be used as a make shift mixer for mix-downs from the 34. Either record on the 244 as the master, (bad idea, as this would present a bizarre medium for future use!) or, feed the outputs of the 244 to the mix-down medium of your choice.

About the 246 being used as a replacement of the M30; I guess it could be fashioned to suit this usage but, it might behoove you to check out E-bay for a cheap and cheerful, used M30 or similar board.

Regarding the 34 and not using dbx; It might be acceptable as long as you are recording instruments and mixes that have a fairly constant volume. If there are a lot of quiet passages, the hiss will become somewhat audible to younger listeners who can still hear above 14Khz...Not me:(

The 34 requires a bare minimum of maintenance other then cleaning the tape path and occasionally degaussing the heads. Beyond that, there is only the occasional calibration that should be performed if the levels start drifting noticeably or the azimuth drifts in the head alignment.

The 34 was designed and set to work with Ampex/Quantigy 456 tape or equivalents from other manufacturers like Emtec or Scotch.

As for the best place to buy tape; I don't know. I get mine from Tele-tech in Markham, Ontario. Your millage may vary.

The 34 can work with NAB sized hubs and reels up-to 10.5 in diameter and with the NAB adapters removed, it can be used with 7" , 5" and 3" reels.

About vertical and horizontal placement of the 34; It can be used either way. It is simply a case of user preference as to which way you place it.

Bare in mind that it comes with bottom feet and back feet so don't sweat that one.

I hope that helps a little?

Thanks a lot friend :) . But tell me, how about the take-up reels ? They're basically just empty reels without any special characteristics, right ? Let's say I get a 10 1/2" tape reel .. now all I need is just any 10 1/2 " empty reel (as take-up reel), like Billy's offer, right ?

Daniel

Take up reels, ( empty ones) are alway sold separately.

If you need one and don't have one handy, dump edit an old full reel of tape you have np plans of using and use it as your take up reel.

Some reel to reel machines also came with a complimentary one but, at this stage of the game, being a used market only, it's pot luck.

Happy Thanks Giving btw!

The Ghost of FM said:
Take up reels, ( empty ones) are alway sold separately.

If you need one and don't have one handy, dump edit an old full reel of tape you have np plans of using and use it as your take up reel.

Some reel to reel machines also came with a complimentary one but, at this stage of the game, being a used market only, it's pot luck.

Happy Thanks Giving btw!

Happy Thanks-Giving to you too! :)

Daniel

Guys, I often wondered about mixing down from reel to reel (like the 34B) to a cd. Would it retain the original "analog" sound being a 16 bit medium cd ?

Muchos Gracias ;)

Daniel

cjacek said:
Guys, I often wondered about mixing down from reel to reel (like the 34B) to a cd. Would it retain the original "analog" sound being a 16 bit medium cd ?

Muchos Gracias ;)

Daniel

It won't retain all of it but, it will capture most of it.

It also depends on what kind of CD recorder you have.

I have found that the stand alone units offer better quality AD converters in them then the average sound card in a computer.

As well, because stand alone units record at 1x speed, they tend to have a lower error rate then their PC cousins that vibrate away in a big case and are affected by other drives, fans and other electronic interference.

I use a Pioneer CD recorder designed to be a home hi fi component and it does a respectable job for my needs with my 16 track, 1" feeding it.

The Ghost of FM said:
It won't retain all of it but, it will capture most of it.

It also depends on what kind of CD recorder you have.

I have found that the stand alone units offer better quality AD converters in them then the average sound card in a computer.

As well, because stand alone units record at 1x speed, they tend to have a lower error rate then their PC cousins that vibrate away in a big case and are affected by other drives, fans and other electronic interference.

I use a Pioneer CD recorder designed to be a home hi fi component and it does a respectable job for my needs with my 16 track, 1" feeding it.

Ok, thanks! :) . I have a Sony double cd recorder which I got NEW for ........... here it is ............. $83.00 + tax!! :D

Daniel

$83.00??!!

(I never paid tax on anything that, you know... (Wink Wink) fell off the back of a truck! Did you get a special deal or do you know a secret place? That's cheap!)

BillyFurnett said:
$83.00??!!

(I never paid tax on anything that, you know... (Wink Wink) fell off the back of a truck! Did you get a special deal or do you know a secret place? That's cheap!)

I wish I had a "secret place" but all I was is lucky, very lucky :) . About summer time of this year I was calling around to see if some larger dept stores had any "demo" or "open box" cd recorders. When one of the places told me that they had one for sale for $83.00 bucks, I asked them to confirm the price and asked them again if they knew what I was asking about. Actually, it wasn't until I arrived at the store that I found a brand new, in box with all the warranty etc ... that I knew I found a deal of a lifetime. Apparently the reason it was selling for such a low price was that stores were affraid to carry anything that violated some cd copy laws that were pending at that time. Tell you the truth, I'm not sure what laws these were. In any case they were getting rid of their cd recorders. They had one left and It was mine :D . I believe it was the SONY RCDW1. Note that we're talking BC, Canada here and so with the exchange rate, it would be like getting this one for about $50 in the US :) :D .

Daniel

Oops! Sorry Billy .. I thought you had T-day on Monday, Oct 13 as we do. Sorry for the premature wishes :)

Daniel

Back