Tascam 312B Project

Sonthe big question is, did you drop in the replacement meter assembly, or did you use the salvaged 4558 opamp and swap that part out on the original meter amp board?

For the sake of time, I used the replacement meter assy. To fix the other one, I would have had to unsolder the meters so rather than add all that undue stress on my life, I took the easy route...
I did not come through completely unscathed...... for some reason, the R fader works the L meter and L fader works the R meter. I'll look at it for a minute today, but the redneck in me says to just swap the faders around :)

And what issues remain? I lost track...just curious for AFTER music month.

Cleanup mostly....
1. Put the 4558 opamp in the original meter assy
2. put two lamps in the replacement meter assy
3. Troubleshoot the (what is now) spare channel board
4. Replace U405 on (what is now) the spare monitor board
5. Build some nice side panels for it (now this is more up my alley.......)
6. Finish cabling the channel inserts
7. Sell the M-106 because I completely trust it!!!! :D

.......now........ on to music month!!! :D

So aside from the L-R meters registering the opposing buss, and the burned out L-R meter lamps, the console is 100% functional?

Yes it is a PITA a bit to work on the meter boards because for just about anything you have to remove the meters.

Regarding the L meter registering the R buss and vice-versa...is it possible to unplug the meters from the monitor board and flip the plug 180 degrees and plug it back in? I’ve already forgotten what that connector looks like. That’s all that needs to happen. And if that is not physically possible, like if the connector is keyed to only connect one way, then you just need to swap the sockets in the connector. This is pretty easy. If the bottom panel is already removed from the console this could be a 5 minute fix. Swapping L-R faders will solve nothing...it’ll reverse which fader controls which buss on the control surface, but the meters will still register the wrong buss. You’ll just compound your problem.

So aside from the L-R meters registering the opposing buss, and the burned out L-R meter lamps, the console is 100% functional?

So far...... I've layed down a bass and drum track no problems.... well maybe a problem, but I'm not taking the time to look at it right now. When I hit the PFL.... all the lights come on, but I can't monitor it through the solo buss.... The Tascam M-08 has a PFL too, and I have used it before, but only once or twice. I'm not sure if its a board problem or an operator problem.....more than likely the latter......

Regarding the L meter registering the R buss and vice-versa...is it possible to unplug the meters from the monitor board and flip the plug 180 degrees and plug it back in? I’ve already forgotten what that connector looks like. That’s all that needs to happen. And if that is not physically possible, like if the connector is keyed to only connect one way, then you just need to swap the sockets in the connector. This is pretty easy. If the bottom panel is already removed from the console this could be a 5 minute fix. Swapping L-R faders will solve nothing...it’ll reverse which fader controls which buss on the control surface, but the meters will still register the wrong buss. You’ll just compound your problem.

The connector is keyed, so its not simple simple. I thought about the registering the wrong buss thing after I wrote the post yesterday. I do like the swapping the sockets idea, but not right now. I think when I fix that other board I'll just put it back in..... then I can put lights in the meters on the current board.

but other than that..... overall..... so far so good!!!

Brad

This is just an in general post showing off how the converted tv roller stand worked. Here it is in the “ normal” spot.

B8DA5FF8-1BAC-4DA0-835A-A863A5792D1B.jpeg

Here it is rolled around by the guitars

181BA817-06A8-4E35-B59B-FF28CE51EE6A.jpeg

I wanted to keep it self contained so I could move it easily. The only thing I have to disconnect are the monitor outs from the Patchbay.

I did this for a few reasons:
1. Ease of overdubbing and multiple takes(don’t even have to leave the chair... :) )
2. an easy way for me to check levels when setting up the guitar or organ mics
3. Easily moveable if I need more room

Attachments

• 4D3A2FE2-07FD-40DB-AA01-2D2A8CCB22B3.jpeg
    4D3A2FE2-07FD-40DB-AA01-2D2A8CCB22B3.jpeg
    986.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 9C53D141-C0E0-4AB7-B9B0-EF76493647D3.jpeg
    9C53D141-C0E0-4AB7-B9B0-EF76493647D3.jpeg
    622.2 KB · Views: 6
Just a quick note.... 11 songs no major issues.... funny how my attitude changes... it seems like just a few weeks ago, I was ready to go back to the old mixer

Back