Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Tascam 312B Project

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Each Monitor mixer channel has two possible inputs:

1. An individual tape return (each Monitor mixer channel numerically corresponds to a tape return jack...Monitor mixer channel 1 can source tape return jack 1, channel 2 jack 2, etc.) -OR-
    2. A PGM buss, post-fade and post-insert...monitor mixer channels 1 & 5 can source PGM 1, channels 2 & 6 source PGM 2, etc.
    .....again..... this is a lot to digest..... thank you for clearing it up.....

I guess in my mind I was thinking that since channels 1-4 are normaled to tape return 1-4, I would just use them (channels 1-4) for the monitor mix and assign them as needed to the PGM buss that I was using for the compressor. But, looking at the pictogram and reading your post, I see what you are saying now..... Probably for versitility sake I should have all the inserts available on the patchbay...

Man..... this is quite a step up from the M106 (.....which was quite a step up from the M-08.....which was quite a step up from the 244.........)
    Brad Bachelor
    "Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Thanks
    So, yeah...that’s the thing. If you are using a monitor mixer channel to source the associated PGM group, that is post PGM insert. But if you are using the monitor mixer channel to monitor a tape return, there’s no insert on that. Are you dedicating four of your mixer channel strips for those tape returns? Channels 1-4?

Thanks
    Are you dedicating four of your mixer channel strips for those tape returns? Channels 1-4?
    well....... I was dedicating Channels 1-4 for no line in inputs so they would remain normaled......

....so what you are saying is that if I want to use a compressor when I'm mixing, I wouldn't be able to use the monitor mixer channel Tape RTN? (....I think I see that in the pictogram now....). That is pretty important, in case I wanted to do some compression during mixdown.

-disclaimer- right now I haven't spent a lot of time on compressor dynamics. I use it just playing around because I think it "sounds good". I have used it both in tracking and in mixdown....
    Brad Bachelor
    "Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorb View Post
    well....... I was dedicating Channels 1-4 for no line in inputs so they would remain normaled......

....so what you are saying is that if I want to use a compressor when I'm mixing, I wouldn't be able to use the monitor mixer channel Tape RTN? (....I think I see that in the pictogram now....). That is pretty important, in case I wanted to do some compression during mixdown.

-disclaimer- right now I haven't spent a lot of time on compressor dynamics. I use it just playing around because I think it "sounds good". I have used it both in tracking and in mixdown....
    So how you’re using main channels 1-4 (no other line inputs) is spot-on as far as I’m concerned with your setup.

The trick with the compressor and the tape returns is if you have that compressor inserted on, say, PGM 1, a tape return jack monitored via a monitor mixer channel doesn't go through the PGM groups...it’s tape return jack straight to the TAPE source switch on the monitor mixer channel. Look at the pictogram or “ Block Diagram”. Look at the tape return jack and the PGM insert.

Let me see if I understand what you are wanting to accomplish. Are you wanting to be able to:

1. Compress (a) source(s) and monitor wet without printing the wet signal to tape (monitor wet, print dry)
    2. Compress (a) source(s) and monitor wet AND print the wet signal to tape (monitor wet, print wet)
    3. Compress (a) tape track(s) and monitor wet without printing the wet signal to the master (monitor wet, print dry)
    4. Compress (a) tape track(s) and monitor wet AND print the wet signal to the master (monitor wet, print wet)
    5. No sweetbeats none of that (above), I want to __________
    6. All of the above, maybe...not really sure...listen I just want my compressor plugged in and to be able to do whatever the hell I decide I want to do and not have to plug and unplug stuff, okay?

I have a feeling it’s #6...that’s how I am anyway. Is that the case?

Thanks

Patchbay Layout

1. Compress (a) source(s) and monitor wet without printing the wet signal to tape (monitor wet, print dry)
    2. Compress (a) source(s) and monitor wet AND print the wet signal to tape (monitor wet, print wet)
    3. Compress (a) tape track(s) and monitor wet without printing the wet signal to the master (monitor wet, print dry)
    4. Compress (a) tape track(s) and monitor wet AND print the wet signal to the master (monitor wet, print wet)
    Well.....2 and 4 is what I was thinking......( I didn't even think about doing the other two)...... so I guess the answer is
    6. All of the above, maybe...not really sure...listen I just want my compressor plugged in and to be able to do whatever the hell I decide I want to do and not have to plug and unplug stuff, okay?
    It's really a blank canvas right now..... as you know, right now I have the mindset geared towards operating a portastudio. Since I only record myself, I don't think out of the box much (as your multiple choice question above illustrates). that being said, I would like to be as flexible as possible in the setup. Thinking big just because I have this board and I can.... ....

Things like monitor mixes for overdubbing and such are useful to me.... I think buss assigning might be useful because I can bounce tracks 1,2, and 3 to track 4 by assigning channels 1-3 to a buss and then recording the buss to track 4 (using the 244 monitor system).

I'm just like a kid in a candy store..... I want it all!!!!

I'm getting excited about actually getting to the recording phase of this board and figuring out what I have and what I need. I'm going to disappear for a while and record and take notes and have a bunch of questions I'm sure!!

In the meantime..... Here's what I have kind of drawn up for the patchbays (which I use as an interconnect diagram). I understand what you're saying about the inserts, so I have the one whole patchbay dedicated to them.

file-jan-16-1-20-27-pm-jpeg

file-jan-16-12-34-46-pm-png

I might have went overboard with the PGM outs and the Aux outs, but I want to see how I can use them (headphone mixes etc.....)

If anyone see's anything that they would do different, please let me know.

Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails file-jan-16-12-34-09-pm-png  
    Last edited by bachelorb; 9 Hours Ago at 12:25. Reason: PGM outs go to the 4-track......duh.....
    Brad Bachelor

Thread Information