Tascam 244 Transport control buttons; intermittent and not working

Evom

Hi, I am trying to get my old Tascam 244 working. Have replaced the belts and idler tires and luckily found a pinch roller off a teac cassette deck that is a perfect match. I will put that in soon.

However, I seem to also have a problem with the 244 Transport control buttons. The stop button doesn't work and the play button is very intermittent. I wonder if anyone can suggest how to rejuvenate them. I am hoping that maybe contact cleaner spray or something might work but haven't tried anything as yet as I don't want to make them worse, although nothing to loose in the stop button!

Here's a photo so you know what buttons I am talking about.image.jpg

Oh and additionally. The main rubber belt seems not to want to stay in the small pulley's groove and runs out and jams. Seems like there's only one way it can go but anyone else have that problem?

Update. The play button is working more consistently now however the 'stop' button is not functioning at all sadly.

Also the main drive belt won't stay on properly and keeps jamming. I can't figure out why as it seems it can only go on one way. It will stay on if the machine is held 90 degrees but as soon as I try and lay it down flat, to what is the 'normal' position, the belt drops down and jams with it half off the small pulley. Very frustrating!

Could I have been sent the wrong belt or something? The old belt was disintergrated and melted so no real reference apart from Zee's photos to go by.

Any ideas to get it working greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Update fr anyone interested in a fix for the control switches in the 244.

I took the faulty tactile switches apart by carefully shearing off the 4 corner lugs and scraping the inside copper plate and contact, cleaned with alcohol and refitted with a dob of glue on each corner. Thought I'd try this first rather than trying to source new switches and then soldering new ones in. This fixed worked fine and they work perfectly!

Tried two capstan belts with the first coming off. The second stays on but has introduced some wow problems as it doesn't seem to run smoothly. Will keep investigating!

Hey Evom,
Sorry no one pickup up on this.
Just wanted to say I'm glad you're having some success and to thank you for coming back to update the thread! :)
Hopefully it'll help others in future.

Yep, no probs! Who knows when someone might read this right! These forums can be helpful with good detailed information. That's why I always try and add solutions where possible in the actual thread rather than in private messages.

Cheers!

Hi, I am trying to get my old Tascam 244 working. Have replaced the belts and idler tires and luckily found a pinch roller off a teac cassette deck that is a perfect match. I will put that in soon.

However, I seem to also have a problem with the 244 Transport control buttons. The stop button doesn't work and the play button is very intermittent. I wonder if anyone can suggest how to rejuvenate them. I am hoping that maybe contact cleaner spray or something might work but haven't tried anything as yet as I don't want to make them worse, although nothing to loose in the stop button!

Here's a photo so you know what buttons I am talking about.View attachment 96472
Sorry for picking up on this so late but I am having the same exact problem. How did you get the components out of the shell??? I am having a horrible time trying to find the correct screws!

Sorry for picking up on this so late but I am having the same exact problem. How did you get the components out of the shell??? I am having a horrible time trying to find the correct screws!

Hi Jack, yeah it was a while ago!

I assume you mean the 244 casing since you mentioned screws!

Try doing a search in these forums for Dr Zee. He had a very informative website with detailed instructions about various DIY 244 stuff. One page is about which screws to undo and also info about the VU meters disconnection (plug) so you can fully remove the casing.

Post how you get on

Cheers. :)

Back