Tascam 244 playback issue

meowsy23

I recently got a tascam 244 off of ebay for cheap and replaced the belts and idler tires and pinch roller and cleaned the whole thing out. i started making test recordings on it and had no issues til yesterday. tracks 1 and 2 will record fine with good levels on the vu meters and play back fine. i go to record on track 3 and 4 and when i record the levels look good but on playback the the vu needles barely move and i have to turn up the volume on the track, buss monitor, LR master all the way to hear anything. then as this problem started to happen the same thing started to happen on track 1 with the same recorded signal that had previously been playing back fine. track 2 is still working fine so i thought maybe i would clean the tape heads again and sure enough they were pretty dirty but i still have the playback issue. the tape im using is a brand new type 2 tape audio pro c-60. wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this. this issue happens on both remix and cue with headphones and speakers.

What was the nature of the dirt on the interm/diagnose cleaning ? Be sure to inspect the dirt before cleaning.

When you say you still have the playback issue do you mean with the same recording you made before you cleaned the heads again, or you are still having playback issues with recordings made *after* you re-cleaned the heads?

Are you using the Cue knobs to adjust the volume of the playback?
The machine is a bit unique so just wondering if you actually know how to use it and went through the manual, etc.

Back