TASCAM 244 manual available for download in pdf

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Hi folks,

I had bought a Teac 244 in the 90s and never got around to using it. Tried to sell it on consignment and they told me the pinch roller had turned to tar. Complete gooey licorice. Even Terry Witts' rebuild service couldn't save that one, I'm sure. Anyway, I've been discovering old tapes and now I want to change that pinch roller. I can't figure out how to get the p. r. assembly out so I need the SERVICE manual. Couldn't believe it was so simple when I finally stumbled upon the right place:

requests@vintageaudiomanuals.com

Even on the weekend they processed my request, promising me

"We can provide a high resolution scanned, printed and bound reproduction of the following:

TASCAM Portastudio 244 Service Manual (about 80 pages with tons of fold-out diagrams and schematics)

...all for twenty bucks 'merkin! Mind you, I haven't seen it yet, but it's on its way.

I still don't have a replacement pinch roller, but I've inquired at parts@teac.com

rapid share download

thanks a million for the link i just downloaded and printed out the free rapidshare file on 11/16/08 and all fifty eight pages are perfectly legible

The Service Manual is available from Teac, phone (323) 727-4840 to order parts. Most of the other parts, including both drive belts, the pinch roller, and fast forward/rewind wheels with the rubber rim are also available there. Be sure and get your order together the first time, shipping is a flat $5.00 per order, shipped via UPS, regardless of the amount ordered.

You can rebuild your 244 with all new rubber parts (the two drive belts, pinch roller, fast forward/rewind wheels, and service manual) for about $50 US. I rebuilt mine, as well as one I bought for parts since I wound up not needing any parts. It was and is perfectly good machine with very low usage, and works like a dream now with the new rubber parts. Should be good for another 30 or so years!!

I plan on selling it locally or on the forum, I think it would be worth around $250 or so, especially totally refurbished. Any thoughts or interest?

;)

Last edited:
Hello,

I recently acquired Tascam 244 portastudio and it needs refurbishment, can you please help me with soft copy you have downloaded. The link provided in your post no more has the manual.

Thank You in advance.
Sachin

Hi,

Can anyone share the downloaded file, the link provided is not working. I have this Tascam Portastudio 244 machine given to me by my uncle which I want to use. I am basically analogue audio lover with reels Revox A77, B77, A700 and Cassette Deck HK 2000, Pioneer CT650, Akai GX730 in collection.

Please share the soft copy if you have.

Thanks,
Sachin D

Hello! First post for me here, opening up this year old thread.

I've been searching all over for a pdf version of the Tascam 244 Service Manual, without any luck. Any advice on where to find one would be much appreciated!

Ordering a printed copy is not really an option, since the postage would be too much (I live in Sweden).

Hey Guys,

Anyone here who has service manual for Tascam Portastudio 244 downloaded earlier, the link provided here dows not work. The machine needs attention on power supply first and only then will be able check ahead. I acquired this machine from one gentleman who wanted to give up after using over two decades.

Thanks,
sachind4u

Back