Tascam 244 Help Needed

Dannb

Hey all.

I'm an absolute production noob who has gone out and bought a 244 Portastudio.

I feel a bit doomed already so was wondering if someone could give me a run down of the basics of plugging it in to record guitar/synth. I have monitors and a Zoom H4n as well.

Should I use mics and my amp to record or can I DI it through the 244?

I really just need to understand the basic input/output fundamentals to get it up and running.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have the manual?

I do now, but I'm still struggling to get a signal. I found the manual pretty confusing. At the moment I've got a mic going into the Tascam through input 1 but I'm getting nothing in the cans. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Okay, scratch the first message. My Microkorg is working through the Tascam! But I can't get any volume out of my shure sm58 mic. I got an adapter today and it's just not working. Can hear the faintest of sound. Do I need a different converter? Or are there any mics that will work 100% that you can recommend?

I'd guess if the mic doesn't work but the synth does, the mic adapter wiring / pinout is different. I'm assuming you got some variation of a male XLR-male 1/4" adapter?

I'd guess if the mic doesn't work but the synth does, the mic adapter wiring / pinout is different. I'm assuming you got some variation of a male XLR-male 1/4" adapter?

I got an XLR3F to 1/4 in TRS, supposedly says to adapt to a 'balanced' phone input. After reading some stuff it seems I need an adapter for an unbalanced input on the 244. Could that be it?

I got an XLR3F to 1/4 in TRS, supposedly says to adapt to a 'balanced' phone input. After reading some stuff it seems I need an adapter for an unbalanced input on the 244. Could that be it?

Probably; I would try a 1/4" TS to XLR... i made my own some time ago, I don't remember internally how I wired it but it was a standard XLR plug and a standard TS 1/4"jack. Worked fine.

If you have an extra mixer you can, for now, plug the mic into that and then run the L 1/4" output to the 244... I've done that too in a pinch. Just be careful of gain from the mixer.

Probably; I would try a 1/4" TS to XLR... i made my own some time ago, I don't remember internally how I wired it but it was a standard XLR plug and a standard TS 1/4"jack. Worked fine.

If you have an extra mixer you can, for now, plug the mic into that and then run the L 1/4" output to the 244... I've done that too in a pinch. Just be careful of gain from the mixer.

Cool, thanks Mike. I'll give it a shot.

Back