Tascam 244 going digital (or - I have no clue)

chillward

Hey guys so I recorded my first 4 Track Song on a Tascam 244 and as only for the sound of it I am totally blown away. Now I want this song to go to my computer but I have no idea how to do that.
Things I have:

-alesis IO/2 interface
-macbook (audacity, garageband, etc.)
-Y-cable
-RCA to 1/4" Jack multicore cable
-tascam 244

I tried to solve this equation but I failed and now I am seeking help.

It would be very nice to get the individual tracks on the computer since I might add a little delay on the vocals but it isn't really neccessary and I only have 2 inputs on the alesis so I think track alignment will be an issue?! I just want it on the computer as quick as possible because I am scared the 244 starts eating the tape after listening to it over and over again (so far so good I am using TDK SA60 but it happend with other cassettes before).

Could someone please walk me through this? I am posting a picture of the alesis IO/2 but not of the 244 because I think you guys know how to handle that one.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• io2_top_lg.jpg
    io2_top_lg.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 28
you are correct, there is no way to get all 4 tracks transferred to the DAW simultaneously because your interface inputs only 2 channels simultaneously.

You’ll have to dump them 2 at a time and line them up in the DAW, which can be problematic, or get a different interface with at least 4 simultaneous line input channels.

Do you know anyone with another USB AI? If so you can, I understand run two AIs together and get 4 track recording with a mac. Even the cheapo Behringer UCA 202 would do.

You can also do this with a PC and Samplitude (never tried another DAW) but the tracks will not be sync'ed, does not matter for short, say 5mins of track.

Dave.

Yeah, you need four inputs. I have a 244 and a Focusrite 18i8 and transfer all in at once. It is great. If you do two at a time the wow and flutter will result in timing/alignment problems that you can't really fix.

You can mix them all in the 244 and then transfer it as a stereo mix, but then you won't be able to add FX on individual tracks.

The 244 is an awesome machine probably the best 4-track ever invented so enjoy it!

Thanks, I think I'll try that. So I go from the Tape Out with the RCA in the 1/4" Input from the Interface and then record into the DAW, am I correct? Is there anything I have to consider on the Interface with the settings, or with the 244? I have all the switches in safe on the 244.

With problematic you mean the sync probably? The song is about 2.30min long. I hope this won't affect too much.

Over 2:30 it shouldn't be an issue assuming your 244 is stable (as far as wow and capstan speed), but what you want to consider is the nature of your tracks. What material have you tracked? If it is 4 tracks of stuff that was tracked one at a time or no more than two tracks at once, it should be fine to transfer two at a time, but if you have 3 tracks that were recorded simultaneously, like you recorded a choir with two overhead mics and a third mic on the soloist, there will be mic bleed, and if you transfer the overheads in the first pass, and the second pass includes that soloist mic, it may not sound the same...the little variations in speed of the 244 may introduce some phase/comb filtering issues. Basically, if you are going to break up an analog multitrack project transfer into multiple smaller track counts, the material you transfer should be tracked using a simultaneously recorded track count no higher than the maximum number of tracks you can transfer.

sorry if that makes no sense. I can try and explain it a different way if needed.

Outside of that, set your output levels of the 244 to maximize signal strength without clipping the outputs, and set your DAW input levels at your interface with the same idea...maximize signal strength without clipping your inputs.

Over 2:30 it shouldn't be an issue assuming your 244 is stable (as far as wow and capstan speed), but what you want to consider is the nature of your tracks. What material have you tracked? If it is 4 tracks of stuff that was tracked one at a time or no more than two tracks at once, it should be fine to transfer two at a time, but if you have 3 tracks that were recorded simultaneously, like you recorded a choir with two overhead mics and a third mic on the soloist, there will be mic bleed, and if you transfer the overheads in the first pass, and the second pass includes that soloist mic, it may not sound the same...the little variations in speed of the 244 may introduce some phase/comb filtering issues. Basically, if you are going to break up an analog multitrack project transfer into multiple smaller track counts, the material you transfer should be tracked using a simultaneously recorded track count no higher than the maximum number of tracks you can transfer.

sorry if that makes no sense. I can try and explain it a different way if needed.

Outside of that, set your output levels of the 244 to maximize signal strength without clipping the outputs, and set your DAW input levels at your interface with the same idea...maximize signal strength without clipping your inputs.

It totally makes sense! Thanks, I haven't really thought about that yet. Basically the track is a 60s psychedelic surf track with Guitar and Drums both recorded with one mic on Track 1 (used an akg c1000s on the drums over the right shoulder and i was amazed by the drum sound on the 244!), Bass on Track 2, Vocals + Acoustic Guitar on Track 3 and Solo Guitar with lots of reverb on Track 4. No bouncing yet I have to get into this realm with the upcoming songs. I want the song to be released in Mono too. Actually it all was overdubbed Track by Track.

One more question: Which DAW are you using to get the tracks to the computer?

Thanks!

Yeah, you need four inputs. I have a 244 and a Focusrite 18i8 and transfer all in at once. It is great. If you do two at a time the wow and flutter will result in timing/alignment problems that you can't really fix.

You can mix them all in the 244 and then transfer it as a stereo mix, but then you won't be able to add FX on individual tracks.

The 244 is an awesome machine probably the best 4-track ever invented so enjoy it!

Thanks! Yeah I was really really amazed by how everything sounded. I recorded the drums with only one mic and it was insane to hear for me. I'm really happy since I got it dirt cheap and as for now it is a total work horse! I hope I can record many more tracks on this one!

Back