Tascam 244 + Condenser Mic

4tracker

Hey guys, I want to try a condenser on my 244. I bought a Rolls Mic Power II. It has two inputs with phantom power. Can I use this safely on a 244 without hurting the preamps?

Thanks.

I don't think they'll be any "safety" issue per-say. More so, just dealing with an unbalanced microphone input on the 244, which would require a balanced 3 pin to 2 pin unbalanced adaptor made by Neutrik or Hosa or similar.

Hosa XLR Female 1 4" TS Adapter Mit 435 loz Mic HIZ Line Transformer | eBay

Cheers! :)

Thanks.

I have a xlr to 1/4" adapter cable to plug into the 244. This would come out of the Rolls and go into the 1/4 on the 244.
The cable is like this: 6ft XLR 3 Pin Female to 1 4" Mono Plug Shielded Microphone Mic Audio Cable Cord | eBay

Would this work?

It would work but there might be an impedance mismatch because there's no matching transformer built into that cable.

Best bet is to try it out and see if there's any weirdness to the levels or abnormal tonality and if it sounds good, use it! If it doesn't, consider the gizmo I suggested earlier.

I've had a bit of difficulty myself with the 1/4" to XLR cables on the 244, I'd second getting at least one impedance transformer. If nothing else, it's another tool in your bag and I'll bet it'll come in handy at some point.

It would work but there might be an impedance mismatch because there's no matching transformer built into that cable.

Best bet is to try it out and see if there's any weirdness to the levels or abnormal tonality and if it sounds good, use it! If it doesn't, consider the gizmo I suggested earlier.

Okay gotcha. I've never used one of those transformers. Does it connect to my xlr to 1/4 cable, or does it plug into the back of the Rolls and then right into the input on the 4-track? If it attaches to the mic cable, I probably need a male version, right? Is it possible to buy a xlr to 1/4 mic cable that has the transformer built in? Sorry I'm clueless about this.

The transformer adaptor should be at the 244 end of the cable run so that your signal is balanced and shielded all the way right up to the recorder. That connetion should be made between the phantom power unit's output and the tascam 244 via a standard xlr microphone cable. ( this means your current cable would be useless.)

Also, yes, there are dedicated patch-cords which have that transformer built in at the 1/4" jack end. I still have one from back in the day when I too used a 244! :)

The transformer adaptor should be at the 244 end of the cable run so that your signal is balanced and shielded all the way right up to the recorder. That connetion should be made between the phantom power unit's output and the tascam 244 via a standard xlr microphone cable. ( this means your current cable would be useless.)

Also, yes, there are dedicated patch-cords which have that transformer built in at the 1/4" jack end. I still have one from back in the day when I too used a 244! :)

Thanks. You've been a big help.

I have some standard cables thankfully, so I can use those.

Do all mics (ribbons and dynamics) require that transformer when going into the 244, or is it just an issue with condensers?

Thanks. You've been a big help.

I have some standard cables thankfully, so I can use those.

Do all mics (ribbons and dynamics) require that transformer when going into the 244, or is it just an issue with condensers?
It's an issue for any balanced signal, microphone or otherwise, that needs to be connected to an unbalanced input. Many times you can get away without using the matching transformer if there's no major impedance mismatches. That's why I stated earlier to try it out with what you've currently got on hand and only hunt down the transformer gizmo if needed.

It's an issue for any balanced signal, microphone or otherwise, that needs to be connected to an unbalanced input. Many times you can get away without using the matching transformer if there's no major impedance mismatches. That's why I stated earlier to try it out with what you've currently got on hand and only hunt down the transformer gizmo if needed.

Thanks again. So I have a hi-z "blues harp" (omni dynamic) mic. This one I could use without issue, but all my others I might need the transformer from what I gather.

I just tried it out using the Rolls. It seemed fine. But when I got near the microphone wearing headphones there was a high pitch. Is this just feedback from the phones because the preamp was too high or a balance issue? I turned down the trim and things seemed okay, but I don't have a reference point. Maybe I will just buy a gizmo to A/B it.

When I had a 246, I used the transformer on every mic I had, even dynamics. I think part of it is not just converting balanced to unbalanced, but bringing it down to a line level.

When I had a 246, I used the transformer on every mic I had, even dynamics. I think part of it is not just converting balanced to unbalanced, but bringing it down to a line level.

Moving it to line level would be a massive gain of about 60 db. I don't believe those in-line transformers are that good based on my own experience of also using them when I had my 244. IE: I still had the trim control about where it was with regular unbalanced cheapie mics of the day 25 years ago.

The point of them is to get a close impedance match so that the gain stage remains consistent without having to boost the trim controls which would bring up the electronic hiss. Anything over the 1 O'clock position and that noise becomes very audible on those Portastudios.

Yeah I notice this problem, too. I never claimed to be a good 4-tracker. haha. I was also about just getting the idea down never recording it well. But now I want to step up my game.

Back