Tascam 244 both reel motors not working?

Jonk

Anybody have an idea where to look for the problem? Both the rewind and play/fast forward motors stopped working the other day. Up until that, no problems recently. Has new rubber if you're wondering. Capstan is fine.

Just the reel motors. Both of them. A cap somewhere?

???

By "new rubber," I assume you're talking about belts too, yes?

Yes, new belts and pinch roller (actually a couple years old)

I don't think there is a belt that has anything to do with the reel motors anyway? Opened up the back and I can't really tell much. I'll probably have to take the front off too. Boo.

Isn't there only one reel spooling motor? And the idler tire mechanism is what couples the motor to the appropriate reel depending on the mode FFWD or REW?

Isn't there only one reel spooling motor? And the idler tire mechanism is what couples the motor to the appropriate reel depending on the mode FFWD or REW?

Yes to the idler tire being replaced too. Forgot about that. You guys are jogging my memory a bit here. I need to disassemble down to see the idler tire and what's going on. I'll report back. Thanks!

Just reporting back to this thread. Thanks for directing me to the idler tire, guys. I pulled off the front face and the holding clip for the idler tire had popped off. Luckily it hadn't dropped into the machine. The part I'm talking about can be seen on this page. http://www.mzentertainment.com/pics/teac_244/dr_zee_workshop_tascam_244_project_part4.jpg

Wish I could make it more secure. I put it back together, and tightened the holding clip with some needle noses and we're back in business. Such a crucial, tiny, weak little part. Hopefully it'll stay put now.

Thanks again.

Thanks for reporting back, and good job on getting it figured out. Hopefully it won't give you more trouble but if it does post back and maybe we can figure out something further.

Back