Tascam 244

planetorange

I have a tascam 244 with new belts in it that will fast forward and rewind fine, but when i press play nothing happens. If i go inside and slightly nudge the main belt then play/stop will work fine until i shut off the machine. Then the next time i want to use it i have to nudge the belt again. Does anyone know whats wrong with it in particular and what can be done? Its a friend of mine's and he doesnt use it and it sits around collecting dust so i want to fix it up. I like it ten times more than the 424s ive used. Thanks oh yeah p.s. ...
i cant believe no one knew how to get just wet signal from a RE-150. I figured there would be at least one tape echo genius on here!

Did you put the new belts in it? If not how old are the new belts. I've seen that happen in a 246 when the control belt was stretched -- needed replacing. Do you take the bottom of the unit off and nudge the capstan belt (flat wide one)?

Unfortunately it sounds like it could be a weak capstan drive motor. I’m also wondering how freely the capstan flywheel is spinning. Are you using a new tape or stuff that was lying around?

Are the new belts from Tascam or were they measured and fitted with generic? They can actually be too tight/too small if not stock.

I've got a 244 with similar problems. I took the two old belts out and tried to jerry rig with some rubber bands (ghetto i know). I suppose I need to get stock belts to see if it will fix it. Anyone know where to get them?

Back