Tascam 244 3rd and 4th Channel Not Working

No problem glad it works.

Not really. I've had my 244 for like 6 years and never used all 4 channels at once. All I can think is if you're recording your band or you want to record say acoustic guitar in stereo and also have a distant room mic for ambiance. Other than situations like that you should be fine.

PS. Get some good tape from NAC, too. Their chrome tape is good.

Yea I feel like I am eventually going to need all four inputs for small band setups but for now, this will for sure do. I'm glad at least all channels can be recorded on. Regardless, the guy i bought it from offered to take it to a tech so I will wait for that as well. Thanks again guys!

---------- Update ----------

You're most welcome - hope you enjoy using it, they are amazing machines!

cheers man. Appreciate the guidance

Just had a thought - if you do want to record all 4 tracks at once you may find you can feed the input to C3 and C4 via the direct channel inputs at the back after taking out the jumpers, using an external mixer to boost mic levels. It could even be that the C3 and C4 jumpers are missing or corroded that is causing the problem, although it is probable that the pre-amp chips have been blown - I had this on C2 of a 244 I bought the other year.

The tape and head have nothing to do with the mixer input signal condition. This is one of the oldest units out there and it might need some switches cleaned with Deoxit or may have bad capacitors in those circuits. I can not tell you more unless I was to look at the unit. I have seen many times that Pan pots and switches are dirty or oxidized after all these years- equipment last longer if you use it and not let it sit.
I still service these today when required.

Back