Tascam 22-2 help

jay Burd

New to analog recording and need some helps. I've got a Tascam 22-2 for mastering from digital. Bought some tape from eBay (apex 456). I'm thinking the tape may be bad or expired because after 5 minutes of recording/playing the left channel will drop out... When i checked the heads they were covered in gunk so I cleaned them off tried again and worked fine for another 5 minutes until they were covered in gunk again.

Is this a common issue?

Now when I try to record over stuff on the tape and play back I hear both the previously recorded track and the new track at the same time... Are these issues all because of the bad tape?

If so, where and what tape can I buy that wont be shit like this? Any companies making fresh tapes out there that you all have tried out? I need 1/4" tape on 7" reels.

Many Thanks! Jason

Ampex 456 is prone to sticky shed. It’s also the wrong tape for the machine. It’s 1.5 mil tape. You will want to use 1 mil 1/4” tape on 7” reels. Current production tape will be rmgi lpr 35. Maxell 35-90 tape would work too, but you would have to buy used and it then it’s a gamble what condition it might be in.

It wouldn’t hurt to clean the heads and entire tape path again. Sticky shed can be obvious but there might still less detectable gunk on the heads and tape path. I just had my first encounter with sticky shed too with a used calibration tape and it’s nasty stuff.

Spot-on, Illuminations.

Like he said, used tape is a gamble. I will say BASF branded LPR35 is not on the sticky-prone list.

Back